• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hop picking

Cheriton

proper brummie kid
Hi All,
When my grandmother was alive she would often tell me of the times that she and her family (which included my mother) would go hop-picking in September to make a bit of money. I would like to research agricultural seasonal workers from Birmingham and was wondering if anyone knew where I could begin. In particular, I am looking to see how common this was, experiences, what areas of the country they would go to (my family would go to Worcester) etc.

Any information is more than welcome.
Thankyou
Cheriton

Hop picking was principally in SE England and the West Midlands I gather. However, during WW2 the Women's Land Army was the principal group replacing the men who were now in the military. They were helped at the times of harvesting and picking by volunteers. Volunteer Agricultural Camps, as it was known, assisted with gathering in crops. My experience as a early teenager was after WW2 with the VAC and you could choose where you preferred to work. You made your own way there and home. Most of those who were there during the summer were university students earning money during the recess. My jobs ranged from back breaking potato picking, fruit and vegetable picking, corn harvesting and so on. The local farmers, presumably contacted the organisation with their labour needs. My areas were the counties of east and west Midlands. It was a formative - for someone young - and quite healthy. I have recorded here, before, that I applied to go at an office in Broad Street or Easy Row (long time ago now (1951) at the age of 14. The minimum age was seventeen and a half. I told the lady, when I returned my completed application, that I could not go as I was only 14, but she said well you look over 17 - so I got to go.
Farmers still rely on seasonal, but paid, labour but it seems that most people who do this work are from mainland Europe. I make no comments why that is so.

There is a thread concerning fruit picking here...

After my Gran was widowed in 1939 she went hop picking to Pullens farm in Martley, Worcester. This was the start of 30 years of hop tying in May and hop picking in September. She absolutely loved it- a holiday twice a year- certainly a big change from Aston!

From what my Nan and Mom have told me, they were one of the lucky families as the farmer would allow them to live in the garage for the season instead of the barn with all the other families. I think, probably, it was because they consisted of all girls/women. They would clean it, put curtains at the windows, stuff their mattresses with straw and have all their cooking pots, pans, plates, utensils with them also so I can imagine it was quite a sight to see when they were setting off. I believe the farmer would pick them up at an arranged place in Birmingham along with all the other people. Thankyou for your interesting reply.

After my Gran was widowed in 1939 she went hop picking to Pullens farm in Martley, Worcester. This was the start of 30 years of hop tying in May and hop picking in September. She absolutely loved it- a holiday twice a year- certainly a big change from Aston!
That's where my Nan and monther were. Mr Pullen would send rabbits to my Mom for her birthday every year!! They were the Summerills! In fact, my father's family evacuated to Martley during the blitz and this is where they met! What a small world. My other Grandmother is buried at Martley Church and we go visit when I am home.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the interesting link. I have posted some of my families memories down below in replies if you are interested. I replied to these before I looked at the link but if there is anything you are interested in just email me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

That's where my Nan and monther were. Mr Pullen would send rabbits to my Mom for her birthday every year!! They were the Summerills! In fact, my father's family evacuated to Martley during the blitz and this is where they met! What a small world. My other Grandmother is buried at Martley Church and we go visit when I am home.
I have heard of the Summerhills!! Have you any photos of the hop picking days? We have a couple, although one is quite damaged. My Gran was Win Marshall, she became friends with the Pullens too. Reg Pullen, the son, although a lot older than my Mom Rene, used to call her 'the apple of my eye'! Mom is sadly no longer with us but my Aunt Mary is 94 and her memory is very good. I'll ring her today and tell her about this and see what she comes up with!
Lynn.

I have heard of the Summerhills!! Have you any photos of the hop picking days? We have a couple, although one is quite damaged. My Gran was Win Marshall, she became friends with the Pullens too. Reg Pullen, the son, although a lot older than my Mom Rene, used to call her 'the apple of my eye'! Mom is sadly no longer with us but my Aunt Mary is 94 and her memory is very good. I'll ring her today and tell her about this and see what she comes up with!
Lynn.
I was telling my Mom today about your post and funnily enough she mentioned Reg and wondered if you were related to the lady who he was friends with. Unfortunately, she couldn't remember her name of the top of her head (she's 83 now!). I do have a couple of photos - is it ok to post them here or should I email them to you?

]
I was telling my Mom today about your post and funnily enough she mentioned Reg and wondered if you were related to the lady who he was friends with. Unfortunately, she couldn't remember her name of the top of her head (she's 83 now!). I do have a couple of photos - is it ok to post them here or should I email them to you?
Cheriton, I will private message you on here in case we are going off topic. Lynn.

Lynn.
hi there sorry to bother you.me and my nan used to go hop picking.every year.i think my gran was related.to win marshall.lovely lady. my nan was called big may .may gibbons.we had some lovely times.there.gran used to love the crown lol

hi there sorry to bother you.me and my nan used to go hop picking.every year.i think my gran was related.to win marshall.lovely lady. my nan was called big may .may gibbons.we had some lovely times.there.gran used to love the crown lol
Hello, nice to hear from you ! My Gran's sister, Aunt Mary Ann was married to Johnny Gibbons. They all loved the Crown!! I'll send you a private message.
Lynn.

Last edited:
Hi Patrick Collins
I also went hop picking with my mom and dad and my brothers and sisters , we also went with May gibbons , I believe I know you from hop picking in martley ,

Hi Patrick Collins
I also went hop picking with my mom and dad and my brothers and sisters , we also went with May gibbons , I believe I know you from hop picking in martley
hi patrick
I went hop picking with my family and your mom and yourself at martley worcestershire
I'm Andy , my mom was nell, do you remember us

My Hintons, John & Matilda (nee James), were married at Martley church in 1869 but by 1881 they had left the rural life of Martley and moved to Osler Street in Ladywood. Their daughter Margaret met and married my great-great-uncle George Burton and they and their 9 children lived in Barford Road, just across the road from where I was raised.

My grandfather James Rowles lived with his step daughter Annie and her husband James pressdee/Drinkwater in Martley according to the 1921 census. He moved to Highgate with my dad in 1927.

Back