• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hooper Albert 1888

mjay

knowlegable brummie
Hi all
sorry I've not posted for a while, but I have been keeping up with what's discussed,
I have lots of questions regarding my great grandad, hoping you can help,
i have completed a search on here for shoe shops, occupations, and companies.
Where would I find out or start looking for info on where he would of worked, he was a boot shop assistant
i know the following

Albert Hooper 1888 born Birmingham

I have address in 1911 as 18 Winson St Birmingham
HOOPER, John Crawford Head Married M 61 1850 Police Pentman King Sutton Northamtonshire
HOOPER, Mary Ann Wife Married
37 years F 59 1852 London
HOOPER, Albert Son Single M 22 1889 Boot Shop Assistant Birmingham
HOOPER, May Daughter Single F 19 1892 Cooks Assistant Birmingham

He married Clara Crowley in 1921, Spring head chapel, at time of marriage there were both living 18 Winson st Birmingham

My nan believes he worked for the following companies Freeman Hardy Willis, Dolcis ( not sure of spelling)
then Frisbys, which he later moved to work for, at church st Bilston, and lived above premises for
@10-12years.

Thanks
mandy

Re: Albert Hooper 1888

Below is the list of Freeman Hardy & Willis shops in the 1912 Kellys. I would think the dudley road one might be a good bet. The 1912 Kellys does not list any Dolcis shoips (I'm pretty sure it is the right spelling, so presumably they were not in existence then. In 1921 there is The Dolcis Shoe Co ( Upsons Ltd) 53/55 Corporation St. the only Frisby's for either year in birmingham is just listed as Samuel Frisby, shopkeeper at 116 Osler St.

ScreenHunter_1510_Nov__22_16_12.jpg

Another question I have, Is it possible to find Alberts family on electoral roll from 1921 address 18 Winson St to 1924 when family believe they left to move to Bilston.
Or is it something we have to wait patiently for 1921 census :-(

thanks

The 1918 & 1919 absent voters list (meaning they were away in the army) lists Albert Hooper at 18 Winson St giving him as 03955 L/Cpl., R.A.O.C. In 1920 it was Albert & Mary Ann Hooper & William Lears. In 1922 it was william & May Lears & Alfred Peters

Thanks
Albert served in Mesopotamia WW1
May was Alberts sister I believe she was the youngest, also believe she married William Lears Oct 1913 in Birmingham

thanks again :)

Back