• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Honey Lane

I have just found a reference to an area of Olton which used to be called Beggarly Green. I will follow that up and see if I can pinpoint where it was. However, it is in the general vicinity of the area I referred to in post 19.
You are an absolute star to go to all this trouble for me, Henry has been a pain in the butt ever since I discovered him. His only records are on IGI, on FreeBMD and ancestry etc he does not appear until his misspelt name in 1851 living in Stoney Lane and then three years later he dies in Cregoe Street and of course there are children born after his death, I really must invest in some birth and death certificates, but thanks for all your hard work, I am really grateful.

Bob

I hadn't either and went to school in Olton. I have just found this reference to a congregational church which seems to pinpoint the area but have yet to find a map old enough (or clear enough) to show it.
In 1862 Warwick Road began a mission at Beggarly Green, Olton, (fn. 794) which eventually resulted in the opening of a chapel at Kineton Road, Olton. The footnote (fn 794) is simply a reference to their yearbook.
Am still on the trail.

Sorry - mods we have gone a bit away from the title of this thread. :rolleyes:

Haven't found a map showing the area but by the 1851 census the local area is Ulverley Green. That part of the census includes Olton Hall which in 1841 was in the section of the census including Beggarly Green. I assume that in that decade the name changed.
I think have found the chapel (from post 23) on a map - there is still a chapel building there but last time I went by it was a bridal wear shop- just by the railway bridge.
1615806369538.png

Last edited:

Haven't found a map showing the area but by the 1851 census the local area is Ulverley Green. That part of the census includes Olton Hall which in 1841 was in the section of the census including Beggarly Green. I assume that in that decade the name changed.
I think have found the chapel (from post 23) on a map - there is still a chapel building there but last time I went by it was a bridal wear shop- just by the railway bridge.
View attachment 154435
From these maps it looks like Beggarly Green disappeared when what is now the Warwick Road was struck through/straightened and became a Turnpike Road. It would be good to have a new thread on Olton and James Kent in place of 'The Red House, Snow Hill' which doesn't allow for much expansion, can anybody help on this please.

Attachments

• Ulverley Green Road maps.JPG
    Ulverley Green Road maps.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

View attachment 154435
Did Kineton Rd become Kineton Green Rd at some stage? I think the Beggarly Green chapel was on the corner of what is now Brookdale Rd. not the one that is now a bridal shop, why two chapels so close no idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot (365).png
    Screenshot (365).png
    990.1 KB · Views: 4
Did Kineton Rd become Kineton Green Rd at some stage? I think the Beggarly Green chapel was on the corner of what is now Brookdale Rd. not the one that is now a bridal shop, why two chapels so close no idea.
Kineton Lane may have became Kineton Green Road when what was likely a cart track to Warwick Rd was urbanised when Olton Station opened in1869. The building next to the railway bridge in Warwick Rd was formerly a butchers shop with a blacksmiths shop underneath, this was bought by Congregationalists and converted to a Chapel in 1879, the upper part was the chapel run by a lay preacher and the lower part (the cellar) served as a school classroom although the dampness due to the brook running next to it made it unsuitable for children and in 1883 closed. The United Reform Church in Kineton Green Road on the corner of Brookvale Road by the architect John Osbourne opened on 1st January 1901.
Again it would be good to have a new thread on Olton and James Kent in place of 'The Red House, Snow Hill' which doesn't allow for much expansion, can anybody help on this please.

Back