• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Homes Fit For Heroes Bill Brandt

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Its always a joy to see quality photographs, & Homes Fit For Heroes does indeed provide us with a special window into Birmingham 1939-1943. Bill Brandt's pictures are stunning & many take as their subject families at home in Hockley, Watery Lane & KIngstanding. There are exterior views too & as these are less sensitive a selection are posted below to demonstrate the quality of Brandt's work.
https://www.find-book.co.uk/book/Ho...ographs-by-Bill-Brandt-1939-43/1904587070.htm
Bath Row BS13 Brandt Homes Fit For Heroes (2).jpgGreat King St BS6 Brandt Homes Fit For Heroes.jpgHockley BS4 Brandt Homes Fit For Heroes  (2).jpgSt Georges Terrace Brearley St Hockley 3FB12 Brandt Homes Fit For Heroes (2).jpgWatery Lane Vicinity 3FS1 Brandt Homes Fit For Heroes.jpg

Hi BordesleyExile, thanks for posting this information and the great photos, I will be putting this book on my Birthday Pressie list :)

wonderful pics shirl..there is only one that i have..could look at these all day..

thanks for finding the time to share them with the forum..

lyn

Yes, Lindy & Lyn Brandt's book gives a great deal of pleasure. I return to it every now & again, which is always a sign of a good book.

That 2nd one with the 2 ladies chatting under the lamp post would make a lovely painting, trouble is I could be breaking copyright laws. Eric

hi shirl..its just as i thought.that cracking pic showing st georges church couldnt have been taken from st georges terrace brearley st..its too far away to get that shot of the church...

it was taken from st georges place and i for one am delighted to see yet another pic of the church and st georges place..couple of maps here so show you what i mean...big thanks to mike for his help..

map of st georges terrace...

stgeorgesterrace.jpg

map of st georges place with the church nearby..the photographer would have been standing near to the buildings marked in bluey purple..

map_c_1913_st_georges_place_showing_position_of_camera.jpg

Thank you, Mike & Lyn. So if we are discussing picture 4, the photographer would have been standing in St Georges Place looking towards St Georges Church as the photo shows the long terrace, or have I misunderstood? What was the relevance of the purple location where Coward & Hunt was?
Yes, I see what you mean about the moment frozen in time inpicture 2, Eric. Little did those ladies know they would generate interest all these decades later.

hi shirl the purple building shaded in is where coward and hunt were and that is roughly where the photographer would have been standing...

lyn

Thank you, Lyn. If the photographer stood by Coward & Hunt to take the photo of St Georges Church there would have been a short terrace in view & the church tower would have been at an angle so I am still puzzled at the significance of the Coward & Hunt Corner.

Shirley
Lyn & I were discussing where the photograph earlier posted was, and Lyn and I both had another photograph from the position of the arrow which showed Coward & Hunt. I'm not sure if it has been reposted at its original position, but it is below. I was merely showing where I thought the two photographs were taken, from the red arrow & the green arrow.
this is the other photo:

SaintGeorgesChurch2CHockley1954.jpg

Thank you for clearing that up, Mike & also Moss. I knew there had to be more to it & the photo in post 11 from the Coward & Hunt location helps to make sense of it all.

Back