• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home Guard

I don't think that lanyards often appeared on Home Guards, Pete. They certainly weren't official issue. The exception is men attached to Royal Artillery batteries - especially A-A - and they tended to adopt white ones, like those of their R.A. comrades. Again I think this was fairly unofficial. And Alexander isn't wearing one in the picture, so it probably wasn't universal.

All a bit vague and undefinitive, like much to do with the HG!

Chris

I don't think that lanyards often appeared on Home Guards, Pete. They certainly weren't official issue. The exception is men attached to Royal Artillery batteries - especially A-A - and they tended to adopt white ones, like those of their R.A. comrades. Again I think this was fairly unofficial. And Alexander isn't wearing one in the picture, so it probably wasn't universal.

All a bit vague and undefinitive, like much to do with the HG!

Chris
thanks chris..for reply . I saw them wearing them on a dads army film, the one with the artillery. that is the only time.......on what shoulder was a lanyard worn left or right

Unfortunately my dad passed away in 1975 when I was just 17 or 18. I hadn't the interest prior to that in asking him questions about his experiences during WW2, a common regret I know. However, he did tell me he was in the Home Guard and I think showed me a photo (long since lost) with sergeants tapes. He lived in the Bordersley area at the time I think and his civvie job was as a bus conductor. He would have been 20 years old in 1941. Eventually he joined the regulars toward the end of the war, The Wiltshire Regiment (for some reason). Does anyone know which HG unit he may have served in please?

Paul, it’s just possible you are in luck. Wade through the names on this page (and a second similar one which is linked to it): http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences122D3132WarksNomRoll31.htm

These are all the men who served in the two BCT battalions. There’s a chance your Dad is amongst them. About a 50/50 chance. Not searchable, unfortunately, so it’s a bit of patience needed.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

PS
Paul, there are very few HG unit histories. Very, very few of those - almost none in fact - have a complete list of all HG members who served in that unit at every stage of the war. Just one of those is online. IF you find your Dad, I should buy a Lottery ticket asap, too!!

Chris

Paul, it’s just possible you are in luck. Wade through the names on this page (and a second similar one which is linked to it): http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences122D3132WarksNomRoll31.htm

These are all the men who served in the two BCT battalions. There’s a chance your Dad is amongst them. About a 50/50 chance. Not searchable, unfortunately, so it’s a bit of patience needed.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris
That's brilliant Chris, thank you very much! I'll let you know.

Unfortunately my dad passed away in 1975 when I was just 17 or 18. I hadn't the interest prior to that in asking him questions about his experiences during WW2, a common regret I know. However, he did tell me he was in the Home Guard and I think showed me a photo (long since lost) with sergeants tapes. He lived in the Bordersley area at the time I think and his civvie job was as a bus conductor. He would have been 20 years old in 1941. Eventually he joined the regulars toward the end of the war, The Wiltshire Regiment (for some reason). Does anyone know which HG unit he may have served in please?

Hi Brummy Paul, Ref. your message Home Guard. If your dad lived in the Bordersley area he would have been stationed at the Girls School in Marchment Road, just above the Broadway Pub on the left hand side. It was the B. Company 39th Battalion. Royal Warwickshire Regt. Home Guard. I was a very young member there in 1942. I am now very near to being 94 years old. Tell me his name and if possible a photo. lets see if I knew him. GEFF

Hi Brummy Paul, Ref. your message Home Guard. If your dad lived in the Bordersley area he would have been stationed at the Girls School in Marchment Road, just above the Broadway Pub on the left hand side. It was the B. Company 39th Battalion. Royal Warwickshire Regt. Home Guard. I was a very young member there in 1942. I am now very near to being 94 years old. Tell me his name and if possible a photo. lets see if I knew him. GEFF
Hi GEFF, thank you for replying. Dad was Albert Mould. I don't know exactly what years he served but he was 20 in 1941. I do know he wasn't fit because he suffered dreadfully from asthma. He told me tales of various exercises and of runaway barrage balloons but I never paid enough attention to the details at the time. Unfortunately I don't have an early photo to hand but may be able to find one later. It would be wonderful if you are able to help. Very many thanks!

This was part of the Home Guard stand-down parade which had taken place yesterday, Sunday December 3rd 1944 (with similar parades in virtually every city and major town throughout the country). It marked the end of four-and-half years of unpaid service by 1.7m HG members.

(I have information about some of these Birmingham HG Despatch Riders. Let me know if anyone would like the links)

Chris

Back