• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home Guard

morning chris..i am just flicking through some back copies of the brummagem mag....one dated 2004 is showing a story and three pics of the home quard lads dressed in german uniform practising their stuff....the locations are poss aston or lozells..the writer of the story cant be sure where they were taken but his dad was amongst those in the pic..there is a street sign on one of them and maybe zooming in can determine the location....you may have these pics already but just in case shall i scan them for you and post....

lyn:)

My father-in-law once told me a story of a home-guard exercise in Brum' that involved members being dressed in authentic German Uniforms.....he said that one fellow wondered around Brum' for several hours, asking people for directions, in 'broken' English. Apparently no one questioned him! I had always thought it was just an 'urban myth' but, having read your post, perhaps it was the truth???

Great stuff Len and the opening music I know it from somewhere, I feel I have heard it on a regular Radio Programme :)

Last edited:
Hi Alf, Yes i know the music too can`t think of it name, no sleep tonight trying think of its name!!, its some thing to do with Bournmouth, Brighton & the Downs, i like it so much i have posted it twice!!!. Len.

Morning Alf, After lying awake all night i think this is the music "Knightsbridge March" composed by Eric Coates. Len.

View attachment 48365A few Scruffy Members of the B Company 39th Battalion Home Guard, based at Bordesley Green Girls school. I am centre front rank and aged about 17. Saw service in Europe and then Palestine later in the Royal Engineers. Most of our Home Guard company were under age, and they Knew it.

Moderator comment: image regrettably lost during Forum hacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
With apologies to Geff, I've saved and uploaded the pic in a different format.

Chris

Last edited:
Hallo Chris, I was very interested in the web page on Bordesley Green H.G. I remember Sgt Jim Davies and four other members from the main picture, it says it was taken at Saltley College, if you look at the windows they are the same as in my recent photo. We were not stationed at the College we did a guard duty there from Finnemore Rd. Girls School Bordesley Green, the unit was "B" Company 39th Battalion H.G. Two of the men are also on my Photo. I was transferred to the Rocket Battery in Yardley before joining the army. Would young men do it today? work long hours and then do a night on Guard from 20-00 to o6-00 hours and then be at work for 0800 for another hard days work, and that was for 3 bob a night. I must add though that some of the best years of my life were during the war. Thanks again for doing my photo I must get on to practising. Geff

Doris mentioned earlier The Birmingham City Transport Home Guard. I have the relevant souvenir book and it is sub-titled '31st and 32nd Warwickshire Birmingham Battalions'.

There are quite a few photographs in it that I can scan, if anyone is interested. There is also a complete list of all servicemen, as well as a list of casualties.

I am willing to look up anything in this book that may be of help.

I have attached one of the photographs.

View attachment 51175

Hi Chris, Uckfield Home Guard Training School is to be opened to the public to mark the 70th Anniversary of the LDV/Home Guard, you may know this, other Forum members may not. Len.

Dear Blacksmith,

Some years ago I tried to trace my late Dad's Home Guard service details so as to claim his Defence Medal but I was unable to glean enough information to do so.

I believe that he served in 31st Warwickshire Birmingham Battalion, possibly "A" company in P30 Unit ( whatever that may have been ), though some or all of this may not be accurate.

As a lad in the early 1950's, I recall my Dad pointing out a decrepit old building at the top of Harborne Lane, near to the Bristol Road in Selly Oak, which he said was his Drill Hall. Again, this was a long time ago and my memory may not be too good on places.

My Dad's name was George Collins who lived in Selly Oak and I know that he worked for the Midland Red Bus Company but never recall him mentioning the City Transport.

If you could kindly find the time to check your records, I would be very greatful for any information that you turn up.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Selly Oak boy.

My father, George Millward, lived in Golden Hillock Road. He is on the attached photo, middle row, fifth from the right. He should have been at the BSA when it was blown up, but he was ill with bronchitus. The person who stood in for him died in the blast.

If anybody recognises any of the faces, or even where the photograh was taken, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Moderator comment - please go to the next post to view this image

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice picture, gensec.

I've taken the liberty of doing a bit of repair work on it. Hope you don't mind.

Chris

Attachments

• HGimageBHF.jpg
    HGimageBHF.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi

If you look in thread Biltz & Home Front you will find a lot home Guard prints from BCT Home Guard Book it might be of use.

Ray

mr frederick simmons and fellow home guard soldier...harborne home guards....1914/18

pic courtesy of carl chinn

mr frederick simmons and fellow home guard soldier...harborne home guards....1914/18

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Hello Lyn,

I do not know in what context Carl Chinn referred to the soldiers in the photograph as Home Guard but, in fact, the Home Guard was not formed until 1940. The men in the photograph are obviously regular soldiers and they are in a camp.

The Home Guard was formed when an invasion by the Germans seemed imminent. Had it occurred a resistance would have been set up and any civilians taking part, if captured, would most likely have been executed. By giving the Home Guard uniforms etc it was hoped that these civilians in uniform if captured would be treated under the terms of The Geneva Convention and treated as prisoners of war. Hitler did , in fact, declare them to be civilians and if captured they would be executed summarily. Fortunately the invasion did not happen so the matter was never put to the test.

Old Boy

Last edited:
Back