• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home for Young Females?

Ewan

master brummie
Does anyone know if there was any such 'home' for young girls at Monument Road Birmingham? The year I believe that someone lived there was 1942.

Any help appreciated.
Ewan

Ewan my memory only goes back 60 years but i seem to remember R.C. nuns having some sort of home (house at the bottom end either Darnly St or Hyde Rd i know it was close to a school and church. Dek

There is this listed in 1943;
276 Hostel (The) (Miss 0. F.Pitt, matron) . This was next to Reservoir Road
mike

I did look on 'street view' and managed to locate the area you mentioned Dek and on looking at the building on the corner of Monument Road it did look like it could of been an institution of some sort.

I also noticed a church in the same area, I think it was called Ladywood Arc Saint Johns and Saint Peters Church, maybe that is the one that you refer to Liz.

Thank you Mike for the listing giving the information about the hostel at number 276. It appears to be on the corner with Reservoir Road, and actually the name of the matron appeared on an electoral register from 1945 that Suzanne supplied for me.

Many many thanks to you all for your interest and help.
Ewan

Yes, I have been putting my Grandmother's young life in context as she has given birth to my mum Jan 1941 Dudley Hospital and then staying at The Hostel, 276 Monument Rd, probably so she could nurse her whilst the RC Church organised for her fostering or adoption or orphanage. Stressful times let alone bombs dropping down everywhere, and having to get back to 12 hr shifts for the war effort.

Back