• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HOLYOAK family info please?

T

Taylor-Holyoak

Hello posters

I am after any info on the Birmingham HOLYOAK clan.

GEORGE HOLYOAK (b.1813 Northampton) and his wife SELINA NEWMAN (b.1817 Bedford) moved to Birmingham in time to start their family. (I'm unsure why they moved to Birmingham).
Their children: ALFRED HOLYOAK (b.1850) - settled in Suffolk St, B'ham - CHARLES HOLYOAK (b.1839) - settled in Bridge St W, B'ham - FREDERICK GEORGE HOLYOAK (b.1843) - settled in Suffolk St & Bromsgrove St, B'ham - EDWIN GEORGE HOLYOAK (b.1847) - settled in Suffolk St then St Peter's St in London - WILLIAM HENRY HOLYOAK (b.1858) - settled in Bridge St W - DANIEL HOLYOAK (b.1849), MARY ANN HOLYOAK (b.1853), LOUISA HOLYOAK (1860) and CAROLINE HOLYOAK (b.1862).

The info I'm after is any NON-CENSUS information (which is where I got most of my information!).

If there are any HOLYOAK posters out there then please get in touch, as we can share information!

Any pre-1800 HOLYOAK members may also be called HOLLYOAK, HOLLIOAK, HOLLYOAKE etc.

Looking forward to any replies!

Thanks for reading my FIRST post!

Cheers,
Anthony

:D Hi there, when I was a child many many moons ago, there used to be a drapery shop on Hockley Brook (early 1950s). The owner was a Mrs Hollyoak (not sure how spelt) but never knew her first name. I do happen to know, though, that Hollyoak is a very old Birmingham name as I spotted it quite often whilst doing some of my own research. I'll have a look over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

Harborne ;)

Hi Harborne.

I don't know of the drapery shop owner I must admit.

There were many of Holyoak families in & around Birmingham from the 1800's - my ancestors date from 1813 and were from Northampton/Berkshire/Buckinghamshire.
There were a large contingent of Holyoak families from Aston - I think (based on some of their christian names) that this family were part of the LDS Church (the first Holyoak migration to America started in the 1800's from Worcestershire and parts of Birmingham).

The Holyoak name also appears as Hollyoak, Hollioak, Holioake and Hollyoke in various birth certificates, marriage certificates and wills, but due to the literacy problem in the 1700's & 1800's it was inevitable that regional variations occur.

The Greyhound Pub in Navigation Street was once run by 'my' Holyoaks! (that explains a lot!!)

Thanks for your post - good luck with all your ancestry searches.

Anthony
<gentlemanly handshake>

Just bumping this up as I have come across Hollyoak - also down as Holyoak, in my family tree, so far based in Aston.

Interesting. Thomas doesn't seem to be the Thomas Holyoake that married Mary and had 9 children though. On the 1861 census he appears to be single and whilst there doesn't seem to be a death registration there is a burial listed in Harborne 6 Sep 1867 for a Thomas of the correct age.

Thank you, I have removed reference to children for him! I am not sure about the death - there is also a death record for a Thomas Holyoak of that age in 1874. I am also struggling to find a death record for his grandfather, Isaac.

I see a death registration for a Thomas Holyoak in Kings Norton Dec 1874 but that appears to be for a Thomas Holyoak born earlier the same year.

If Isaac died prior to 1837 there won't be a registration just a burial record.

May I ask how you determined that Thomas' father Abraham was the son of Isaac and Ann, and not one of the other 2 Abrahams born about the same time.

I see a death registration for a Thomas Holyoak in Kings Norton Dec 1874 but that appears to be for a Thomas Holyoak born earlier the same year.

If Isaac died prior to 1837 there won't be a registration just a burial record.

May I ask how you determined that Thomas' father Abraham was the son of Isaac and Ann, and not one of the other 2 Abrahams born about the same time.
I will check, thank you

Back