• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holyhead Road

Yes it does seem strange that the sign is there on Holyhead Road. Maybe someone knows why. Viv.

Does anyone here know anything about this building on Holyhead Rd between Station Rd. and Woodland Rd. It was built in 1800

Attachments

• holyhead road.JPG
    holyhead road.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 12
Can't yet find much out about the building. Built in 1900 - see close-up below. It looks to me that it was originally built as retail units with accommodation above. My guess is that the first and second floor accommodation was originally intended for the shopkeepers who ran their businesses on the ground floor.

Viv.

Attachments

• A2DA829C-FEF0-4029-8E79-5786386C7310.jpeg
    A2DA829C-FEF0-4029-8E79-5786386C7310.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 11
In 1939 there was the Birmingham Co-op Laundry in Holyhead Road. (As RobT says it was Soho Co-operative Society Ltd. from at least 1905)

Last edited:
In 1939 there was the Birmingham Co-op Laundry in Holyhead Road. (As RobT says it was Soho Co-operative Society Ltd. from at least 1905)
Co-op Laundry was at 130 Holyhead, on the other side near Island Road (towards City Boundary WBA ground)
In 1955 Co-op had shops 131-135 Holyhead rd (other side of Woodland rd) but not really relevant to the building we're talking about at 129 Holyhead road.

No 129 is first mentioned in Kellys in 1904 (not listed in 1903). Then it was the Soho Cooperative society

CAR 177…”Numerically the last of the cable cars supplied to CBT in 1902 was car 177, which is climbing Holvhead Road towards the terminus at the New Inns public house at the junction with Crocketts Road. It is travelling away from the distant Booth Street junction on Holyhead Road in around 1905 and is passing the Ashbury Memorial Chapel located on the corner of Milestone Lane.”

(Birmingham before the Electric Tram)

IMG_0414.jpeg

Thank you Pedrocut for a superb early photograph of Holyhead Road and Asbury Memorial Church with a spire, looking down towards Milestone Lane and Booth Street. The church no longer has a spire

When the big bill board was removed (shown in Steve’s photo) this seems to have been uncovered. Maybe the board was removed during the refurbishment of the neighbouring Royal Oak structure in 2020. I have also posted this to the Ghost signs thread link here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/ghost-signs-of-birmingham.40355/page-72 Viv.

View attachment 171662i really must keep up...did not realise that the royal oak pub had gone and new housing is now on its spot..just noticed an oak tree on the new build so obviously a little nod to the old pub

lyn

Back