• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holy Trinity Church Bordesley.

yes rea st just came to me but again with no certainty..if still alive where was his wife in 41..actually what was his wifes name ?
Rea street and Elizabeth. She later lived with her daughter Ann priest in the same street and the Bissell street. One was 104 rea in 1851 street the other 104 bissell street in 1861. Seems a continuation of rea street from what I can see.

Last edited:
This is much later but my grandad was the organist. His name was George Bennett. The family lived in Bedford Road at the back of the church from before WW1, in a house facing the railway arches. His dad worked at the gasworks. He learned to play the organ because he used to be the bellows boy, so he watched, he never had lessons. When the church closed and the church hall was being dismantled, he was given two of the folding chairs, which we still have and use. Years later, I think possibly when the night shelter closed, family members went into the organ loft and a lot of the music was strewn around. Grandad lived in Small Heath and died in 1979.

This is much later but my grandad was the organist. His name was George Bennett. The family lived in Bedford Road at the back of the church from before WW1, in a house facing the railway arches. His dad worked at the gasworks. He learned to play the organ because he used to be the bellows boy, so he watched, he never had lessons. When the church closed and the church hall was being dismantled, he was given two of the folding chairs, which we still have and use. Years later, I think possibly when the night shelter closed, family members went into the organ loft and a lot of the music was strewn around. Grandad lived in Small Heath and died in 1979.
hello tuppeny rice and welcome..thank you for sharing your family memories that is very interesting...how lovely to still have and use 2 chairs from the church...enjoy the forum

lyn

Long been interested in Holy Trinity because of my wife's ancestors association with it. Just read through forum posts on it [132 - well did skip a few!]. Hope folks don't mind comments on some old posts:

#58. I think I read one of the vicars from there went missing and was never found, I'm almost certain it was the last one before the church was closed. #59 ..what happened to that vicar...
Henry Raveley Guest MC, MA was indeed the last vicar. He disappeared & his car was found abandoned on top of cliffs on Anglesea in 1961.
#63 I believe the vicar's name was Oldknow, apparently he wasn't teaching 'the word' in the way it was supposed to have been. #78 I remember the infamous Rev Dr Joseph Oldknow....
Not sure what to make of these comments. . The Revd Samuel Crane, who was the first vicar in 1823-1841, was succeeded by the Revd Dr Joseph Oldknow, who is often regarded as Birmingham’s first Anglo-Catholic or ‘ritualist’ priest. An incredibly popular man who built up a hugh congregation. Yes, he did introduce practices that the establishment didn't approve of [most of which are common practice these days] but he served the people of the parish not the church hierarchy. He was followed by the Rev. Richard Enraght who continued the work of Oldknow and who was ultimately prosecuted and imprisoned for not following "the rules". During Enraght’s two months in prison, there were protests throughout England and in the US in his support. The Bishop revoked Enraght’s licence in March 1883 and appointed another priest to the parish, against the wishes of the congregation. Really very, very sad. A good account of this can be found at https://www.patrickcomerford.com/2023/06/holy-trinity-church-bordesley-centre-of.html.

oddly enough i am doing a bit of research for someone and i am sure one or two of the bapts/burials was conducted by the rev joseph oldknow...his surname bought to mind something but i could be imagining it but is there not an oldknow road if so it could have been named after the vicar...just a thought

lyn

oddly enough i am doing a bit of research for someone and i am sure one or two of the bapts/burials was conducted by the rev joseph oldknow...his surname bought to mind something but i could be imagining it but is there not an oldknow road if so it could have been named after the vicar...just a thought

lyn
Hi Lyn,

Yes, there is an Oldknow Road in Smallheath. Some of my wifes relatives used to live there in the 1940/50s. and it was called after the vicar.

Oldknow Road B10
Commemorates Dr Joseph Oldknow, Birmingham’s first High-Church Anglican, vicar of Holy Trinity, Camp Hill 1841
[Bill Dargue/Forum/Street Names/15]

Hi Lyn,

Yes, there is an Oldknow Road in Smallheath. Some of my wifes relatives used to live there in the 1940/50s. and it was called after the vicar.

Oldknow Road B10
Commemorates Dr Joseph Oldknow, Birmingham’s first High-Church Anglican, vicar of Holy Trinity, Camp Hill 1841
Our family lived there, great grandad was caretaker of the school and my grandparents Sydney and Irene lived a few doors down. Say hello to anyone who remembers them for me.

Hi Lyn,

Oldknow Road B10
thanks superday glad my memory is not fading

lyn

Back