• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holy Trinity Church Birchfield

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Edit. Photos are currently unavailable.

hi all..here are a few pics of holy trinity church birchfield..popped in there yesterday for the first time since i was christened there aged 3 months in 1954...its a lovely little church:)

lyn

Thank you for those Lyn, I was in the church recently myself as I too was christened there in 1951. I had the opportunity to talk to the vicar, Canon Eve and a number of the congregation about the history of the church and its current state of repair. £100,000 needs to be raised to renovate the heating, roof and organ. The church is still well subscribed with congregations of 300+ even though its style of worship is now evangelical rather than high CE.

ahh john..i see you beat me to the font then:D i found it a very peaceful church and sat for quite a while..its just so good to know that its still there and open for business...:)

lyn

ahh john..i see you beat me to the font then:D i found it a very peaceful church and sat for quite a while..its just so good to know that its still there and open for business...:)

lyn

:D Never slow in coming forward Lyn..and I am very competitive but I guess this particular race was out of our control.
Apparently the church is open on Wednesdays between 11-12, if you get there any sooner you may become actively involved in the service... and the natives are very friendly :D
The next time I visit I will ask to look at the christening registers, must discover who my Godparents were.:)

thats a good point john...i wouldnt mind looking at the registers if possible..i know for sure my aunt joan was one of my godparents but would like to find out who the other one was..must put that on me list of things to do..:)

lyn

:DI'm sure that an inducement of a small monetary donation would ensure a visit to the vestry with Canon Eve ;)

Hi Lyn: Thanks for posting those beautiful photos of Holy Trinity Church. It's good to know that the church is still functioning even though
there are repairs to be done as always and very little money to spend. The history of England lies within the churches and seeing the photos of the Altar reminded me of the altar at St. Barnabas's Church in Erdington High Street. Totally destroyed. I hope to visit more churches when I next come to Brum. As John says you usually have to arrange visits these days unless you know exactly when the churches are open. Thanks again.

Lyn, at least you have a Christening certificate. I never had one unfortunately. I was entered on the Cradle Roll at the Baptist Church in George Road and attended for a year or two. I was christened at St. Mark's Stockland Green instead of Aston Parish due to the bombing raids. According to my family it was a strange affair anyway but no certificate was given. I do, however, have the Cradle Roll Certificate from George Road.

hi jenny and yes i am so chuffed that i still have my cert and at least you have your cradle roll one...it did feel strange walking into the church and looking round at where our mom and dad once stood with me as a babe....but it was also sort of comforting in a way...:)

lyn

Hi jennyann
It was not at all unusual to be without a christening certificate because certainly at Birchfield church the certificate was an optional extra. My parents had to pay 2 shillings for mine which equated to a fifth of the weeks rent money, my father had to collect mine on pay day. It is still filed in the loft.

Thanks for that John. I didn't realize that our parents had to pay for Baptism certificates and two shillings was quite a sum back then. Your father was determined to receive your certificate. I say my christening in October 1941 was a bit weird since the Minister at St. Mark's at the time
was a bit of a cheeky character. My Aunts got their bums covered in dust from the pews and the Vicar made comments about the ladies hats.
I have attended a few services at St. Mark's over the years but Erdington Parish was the church I attended in my formative years.

I can imagine Lyn that you felt a little emotional when you went into Holy Trinity the other day. Can't get much closer to a memory than going into the church where your parents held you at the font for your baptism. I would feel the same I know.

Lyn your post made me look for my certificate at All Saints West Brom. I found it and have posted it on the All Saints thread thanks for the idea. Now I need to visit the church:).

thats great wend..i will go and have a look...hope you can take some pics of your church and post them for us....:)

lyn

hi lexybird if i still have them i will re post for you...just noticed you were once living at grosvenor road...at the time of my christening i was living at no 2 grosvenor avenue which i believe is still there

lyn

A drawing from 1870, but the church was consecrated in 1864. A fine looking church, originally built within a rural community. Would have been a focal point in Birchfield at the time. And it all looks so idyllic ! Viv.

image.jpeg

A photo of the church date unknown but looks c1930
index.php

existing forum image from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...eld-road-perry-barr.38467/page-21#post-574570

A wonderful blast from the past. My brother and I were both christened at Holy Trinity early 60's. Because my gran was church verger and lived opposite the church we as young children got to know every one involved with the cleaning and flowers, we both always wanted to polish the eagle. I don't think there was anywhere we did not get to explore and loved all the events that used to be held there. Rev Pumphrey not sure of the spelling was a great friend and was missed when he left. Very happy days.

Got married here on 12/October/1963,My future wife lived across the road in CALDER TOWER.For our 55 Anniversary my daughters found on the internet an artist who did a wonderful drawing of the church for us.The last time we visited from Kent it was all locked up we wanted to ask about renewing our vows.

Oh what a shame it was locked, but in this day and age everything is different. It would be wonderful to re-new your wedding vows there. I believe there is a link In here somewhere for the church and what's on. It may be worth having a look. Great to have a drawing done of the church, so special. Hope you get to re-new vows, good luck.

Susan it would be so nice to do these things but since all relatives have past away in the last 2 years we no longer need to come to Brum from Kent any more

Two photos of weddings at the church the first 1 was a good friend of mine Jane Thomas and the second is my cousin Linda Salt taken in the 70's with my old kodak Instamatic 126

Attachments

• 1005.jpg
    1005.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 1006.jpg
    1006.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 15
Back