• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holte Road.

Hello Tony I remember your Nan well. I think I remember you if you are the little boy who sat on the bar. Do you remember old lady Daniells who always dressed in black and had her pint of stout every night?. My aunt and uncle lived at 94 just a few doors away. Your nan gave us three photo's that I still have and maybe you would know who they are?. Jean.

Tony they are quite large and we framed them. Will take photo's tomorrow for you. Oh by the way I do remember the Avery's. Jean.

Here are two of the photo's but for some reason I can't find the one of the soldier. Will take a look upstairs later Tony.

Attachments

• digital 545.jpg
    digital 545.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 35
  • digital 546.jpg
    digital 546.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 29
  • digital 547.jpg
    digital 547.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 29
  • digital 548.jpg
    digital 548.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 25
Tony I was hoping you might know as your Nan had them in her possession till she cleared out the cellar. If they are members of your family you may have them with pleasure. Here is the third one.

Attachments

• digital 563.jpg
    digital 563.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 27
  • digital 565.jpg
    digital 565.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22
This is a mystery to me but I am intrigued who they are. You must have know my grandmother well to have helped her clear out the cellar. Did you know she died in 1978

Tony my aunt Nell and uncle Harry from 94 new your Nan well. Talked with my brother last night and he said the photo's initially were given to your Nan's neighbor May Ward who was moms good friend. She moved to Hay Mills where mom visited her and helped her out when she was very poorly and until she passed away. Mom arranged her funeral too. It was sometime in between that May was going to throw the pictures away and mom said they were too lovely. When mom passed away we took charge and re framed them. I would so love them to go back to their rightful owner or owners. We lived at 57 and were the Lyndon's and aunt and uncle were the Stevens.

Just found this thread, I lived in Yew Tree Rd, and some of my friends from Holte Rd were Brendan Casey, Graham Eynon, Roger Schuck, Carol Turnbull and a few others who's names escape me at the mo.
I also remember Mrs Nev and the single ciggies.
Glad I found this, brought back a few memories.

Hi Gaz I remember the Flynn family from Yew tree road. Do you remember Keith Skrivens?. He has a caravan on our site. There were two Schuck families in Holte road and were somehow relates. John Pauline and Christine were the children of one of the families.

hi gaz, was with john flyn last week will get him to look on forum, his brother is named peter, he also had a sister shirley. do you remember david lewis?. regards, paul.

Gaz did Carol Turnble have a brother Tony?. I remember the Flyns Pauly. Think they were a bit older than me?. Do you remember Josephine Patrick from opposite the fair ground?.

Hi,
I lived in Yew Tree up to the age of 19, other names in that area I can remember:
Neil Cooper, David Stokes, Ian Wolverson (was at King Edwards with him), Trevor Reece (now Doctor Trev), John Gorman, the Lewises, Pat Finch, Mrs Douerty (? She ran a club book to buy "stuff" from), Steve Long, the Ratcliffe's (had a shop at the Serpentine end of Yew Tree and I remember they used to cook up fresh cod roes), Barry and Angela Kelly (their mom was once an extra in Crossroads), Linda and Christine Clemence, Cath and Percy Cartwright (shop at 2 Yew Tree), Florrie Noon and her brother had the outdoor just up from Goliath tools. Steve Hunt (can't remember where he lived, but he was a Villa player and I've been in touch with him recently.
it was always "Mrs Nev" said in reverence for her service to early teen smokers ;) afraid I don't remember anyone sitting on the counter -probably due to not being able to see far over the top.

There are so many more I can "see" but the names escape me.
I think Carol had a younger brother.

Last edited:
GG Jean. I tried to send you a PM concerning the pictures your kindly sent me. I got a message back saying your inbox was full. Could you empty some out please and see if you can help on some information that has turned concerning Mrs Nevilles father ( my great grandfather) and her brother.

GazC, just been reading this thread my sister lived in Yew Tree Road, for many years next door to Mr.Cox the barber, Neil Cooper is my nephew and now lives in Belgium, next door the other side was David, Anita and ??? Stokes.

Sylvia David Anita are my sister Sandra's husbands cousin, I see them sometimes, I cant think of the other girls name their moms names is Ev.

I had been racking my brains to remember the 3rd child, I had a brainwave this morning, I think it is Sheila. I knew the family very well, the parents were Ev and Ron.

Hi Alan as soon as I read your name I knew you were from where I lived till I was twenty. Have you any photo's please?. I was born at 57 twelve years before yourself. Welcome to the forum.

My grandmother ran the off licence in Holte rd during the 50s ,60s and 70s. I spent a lot of time there, great memories. Not sure what number though.

hi gaz, was with john flyn last week will get him to look on forum, his brother is named peter, he also had a sister shirley. do you remember david lewis?. regards, paul.

My Father may well have been the David Lewis you mention. He was born in 1948 and lived in the Yardley area, Church Road and then Wroxton Road

Back