• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holocaust Memorial Day

Are the younger generations informed about The Holocaust these days? I do hope so, because it was something that in my opinion must never, ever, be forgotten.

G

Many schools run trips to visit Auschwitz these days I understand.

Big Gee, the schools in our area run a visit for the Year 9's every year to the Beth Shalom centre in Newark, Notts, link below.
Both of the girls went and Owen went in December, he said it was very moving, certainly made an impression on him and for a 13 year old that is saying something!

https://holocaustcentre.net/

Sue

Well, that's good news, Bernie and Sue. If I gave my true reasons for caring so much about Holocaust Remembrance I'd probably be suspended....so suffice to say that I do hope that future generations are kept fully informed about what happened in that horrific time.

G

Been to Auschwitz, and Belsen, a very sorry episode in Mans inhumanity to man, lets hope that history will not be repeated, but some how don't believe it.
paul

HI DWILLY
Yes as big g as said there is alot of schools that have started to teach and taken them to these places
there was some kids taken back not so long ago they was portraed on the news and they asked the kids on the report for there opinions on the
the place they had gone to see whilst they was there ; i would not say its every english school do teach about the hororrs
but quite correctly it should never be forgotten ;
i know that the jewish schools do teach them and learn about there history ;
because i have seen for myself what they do at school i also know most of the jewish comuity of edgbaston ;
personaly and one or two have shown me there arms ; names i will not mention; but they was elderly people and i do see there sibbling today
there parents whom was unfortunely captured and put in these camps was tattooed with numbers on the body ;and arms which is still
Bearable and readable to read ; when i spoke and seen it for myself it made feel bad to think what they have been through
no-one should forget these poor people whom lost there lives for people whom lost there loved ones
and parents its a thing as if it was only yesterday you could never forget surely
its the same as poppy day our fathers and fore fathers and members family whom died in these wars
we should never forget ; astonian;;;

Agree with all whats been said on these pages this chapter in mans history book must never be forgotten

Back