• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hollymoor Hospital 384 Tessall Lane

maggiebee48

knowlegable brummie
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if 384 Tessall Lane is a euphemism for any asylum etc? My grandfather died there in 1951 and I'm pretty sure it was either Joseph Sheldon Hospital or John Connelly Hospital but don't know how to find out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maggie

Maggie
The numbered houses in Tessall lane in 1950 went up to 334. after that the only place listed (un-numbered) was Hollymoor emergency hospital. hollymoor was a psychiatric hospital (though probably would have been called an asylum then)
Mike

Hi, I used to maintain the fish aquariums in Hollymoor in the early 1960s. Seems the fish kept the patients quiet and calm. I always used to get an audience when I was there doing it.

Hi Bill,
Can you remember if there was a unit there specially for elderly men? My grandad died there (well the death cert says 384 Tessall Lane) in 1951. My Mother says he was a little 'unstable' before he died so I'm putting two and two together here to try and make some sense of it. My Dad never talked about his family so I have nothing to go on at all now except what the paperwork says and what details you kind people can give me.

Thanks so much for your help,

Maggie

Hi, As I remember it the men and women were separate in my time (1960). The problem I found was often you couldn't tell the visitors from the patients. I had to keep my razor blades for scraping the algae off the glass very carefully hidden. Sometimes one of the inmates would just " wander off" with my equipment. But most of them were "relaxed" and trouble free

PS I was from 122 Cattell Rd in Small Heath, where were you living during that time?

Hi Bill,

My Mother's family come from the back to backs in Herbert Rd, Small Heath, Eastbourne Terrace as it was called. I have posted a thread on here about Eastbourne Terrace, so if you knew anyone from that particular terrace I could probably tell you about them as my Mom has filled me in with much of the history of the neighbours as she remembers it. She went to Schools at Jenkins St, Dixon Rd and Oakley Road Seniors and her name was Kathy Nash.
I was born in St Johns Rd, Sparkhill but during the time you mention I was living at West Heath.

Thanks for the extra info. Very helpful.
Is the 384 Tessall Lane address definitely Hollymoor? I must take a ride up there to make sure.

Maggie

Hi Bill,
Can you remember if there was a unit there specially for elderly men? My grandad died there (well the death cert says 384 Tessall Lane) in 1951. My Mother says he was a little 'unstable' before he died so I'm putting two and two together here to try and make some sense of it. My Dad never talked about his family so I have nothing to go on at all now except what the paperwork says and what details you kind people can give me.

Thanks so much for your help,

Maggie

Back