• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holly Grove

SCOTSBRUM

Brummie babby
My grandparents and father were at No 5 Holly Grove 40s and beyond. Anyone know of the ownership, history and detail of these houses.

There are a number of Holly Groves (at least 6) listed in Bham, so you may have to elaborate further - an area or a name.

There is a Holly Grove in Bournville, off Laburnum Road.

If this is it then the first map it appears on is 1905 but it seems to be listed on the 1901 census.

Last edited:
There is a Holly Grove in Bournville, off Laburnum Road.

If this is it then the first map it appears on is 1905 but it seems to be listed on the 1901 census.
It is Bournville and many thanks for your help on this. I am looking for some detail of who lived at houses close and were they owned by Cadbury's.

The e roll might help with occupants although there was no roll during ww2. Some years are on Ancestry.

I had a look at the occupants that were living at Holly Grove in 1901 but none of the head of households were in the confectionary making industry, which I would have expected (maybe mistakenly) if the houses were owned by Cadbury.

That's assuming I have the correct Holly Grove.

On 1939 register several occupants must have worked at Cadbury's as their jobs involve chocolate - cocoa siever, cocoa and chocolate packer:
Three, at least, are members of:
1631710914624.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Michael Harrisons "Bournville" states that on the eastern side of Holly Grove was a playground, which was sold (from BVT) to Cadburys in 1913 for fireman's houses (presumably the works fire brigade). This would mean that 11 & 12 were (originally) fireman's houses owned by the company. The same book states that the BVT pre WW1 built houses mainly for rent. Therefore it is likely (but not certain) that originally the houses on the west side of Holly Grove, which were built pre WW1 and included no 5, were rented from the BVT.

Just looked on google maps and Holly Grove is a prvate road - so you can't "walk" down it on streetview.

A nice pc of one of the Holly Grove houses. No date for this but the rustic fencing suggests 1920s/30s to me. An interesting and clever design which makes you think at first glance it's one whole house, but it's in fact two houses. Lots of detail drawn from different periods has gone into the design of this building. Viv.
Screenshot_20230526_194803_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_075723_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_075723_Maps.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 2
Back