• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hollick & Taylor recording studio

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
Does anyone remember Hollick & Taylor recording studio? 16, Grosvenor Road B,ham B20 3NP ?

I have an old LP of the St Christopher Steel Band dated 1977 and wondered if any of the group are still around, their seven names are signed on the front cover. They appeared on New faces and then became more well known and appeared all over the world. They broke up in 1977/1978 not long after this record was produced.

Edit, just noticed the studio still exists and is the home of Black Voices, A cappella quintet,

Vic,

Back in the late 1950s many local musicians used Hollick & Taylor to make records. I think my brother-in-law in Bournemouth may well have a few. I never got to use the place and left Brum early in 1961, so I can't tell you anything about the inside as it was then. The records I have seen from that date had yellow labels, There are some of their 60s & 70s titles here:- https://www.discogs.com/label/293253-Hollick-Taylor

Maurice :cool:

Some information about the studio from the sladeblogspot web page...

Vic,

Back in the late 1950s many local musicians used Hollick & Taylor to make records. I think my brother-in-law in Bournemouth may well have a few. I never got to use the place and left Brum early in 1961, so I can't tell you anything about the inside as it was then. The records I have seen from that date had yellow labels, There are some of their 60s & 70s titles here:- https://www.discogs.com/label/293253-Hollick-Taylor

Maurice :cool:
Seems they were very busy looking at all those titles, a huge and varied variety of artists as well
Another link here shows a photo of Steve Brett & the Mavericks, another midlands group,
During the early to late 1960s, large numbers of R&B soul, garage, pop, and psychedelic beat bands recorded their ‘cool’ music at Hollick & Taylor (the smaller Zella Studios on Essex Street was also popular with Black Sabbath, Norman Haines, Band of Joy and others).

The studio even did sound effects for TV programmes such as Stingray
They also did TV sound effects

Bham's oldest recording studio

Last edited:
There's a quirky Hollick & Taylor test pressing on ebay atm. Described as beat/ hammond/ garage.
YT Sample:
If anyone has any clues as to who they are I'd really appreciate it.
PS
Doesn't matter if you're replying in 5 years, I'm not the seller. I love tracking obscure demos down and I'm rather taken with this. Cheers!

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Hollick & Taylor recording studio? 16, Grosvenor Road B,ham B20 3NP ?

I have an old LP of the St Christopher Steel Band dated 1977 and wondered if any of the group are still around, their seven names are signed on the front cover. They appeared on New faces and then became more well known and appeared all over the world. They broke up in 1977/1978 not long after this record was produced.

Edit, just noticed the studio still exists and is the home of Black Voices, A cappella quintet,
I came across this flyer recently plus a reference to the St Christopher Steel Band. I always enjoyed steel bands.

Attachments

• 7919A35C-26FE-48D6-A4EF-FFA3B4A28A46.jpeg
    7919A35C-26FE-48D6-A4EF-FFA3B4A28A46.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1135F6F9-2671-40CC-AE9D-A130528493EF.jpeg
    1135F6F9-2671-40CC-AE9D-A130528493EF.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 5
Back