• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holidays Of The Past

I have just returned from watching the sheare destruction of a seaside icon,
Weston Super Mare grand pier was destroyed by fire to-day it took only 4 hours to completely destroy that magnificent old pier

People just stood in almost complete silence in total disbelief
The pier was built in 1904 and was destroyed by fire in 1930 and took 3 years to rebuild it i am sure i will not take that long to rebuild it to its former glory

What memories have you got of visiting that wonderful old pier:)Mossy

I have on many occasions frequented the pier. Only two weeks ago I was sitting outside of the amusement arcade at the end of the pier soaking-up the sun and with a cool sea breeze blowing in my face.

It was at this time that I paid a visit to the old pier and signed the visitors book and made a donation towards its rebuilding.

This is a sad loss.........

keith:(:(:(

So very sad to see this icon going up in flames. Went to Weston a few times as a child and loved the pier and the amusements. I had good luck on the slot machines. I hope that they rebuild the pier. It was given a renovation not that long ago so maybe it will be awhile before it is rebuilt.

How sad I feel about the news of the pier. We visited the Old Pier last year and had photo's taken with my best friend from school whom I hadn't seen for forty years. My friend lives not far from Weston at Nailsea in North Somerset.
Colin and I also did pretty well on the Slot Machines and we also signed the visitors book and made a donation towards its rebuilding.

Pom

Such a sad day for British History. I just love Piers I hope this one can be rebuilt. They are so unique. I was so upset when it came on the news this morning!:(

Yes it was on CNN which they called Weston Super Mar - what a sad scene

HI MOSSY , How Are You Mate ,As You Know We Come Down To Unity Farm
Caravan Site Quite Often , And We Are Due To Come Down In Afew Weeks For Ten Days And Has You Know We Spend Quite Alot Of Time IN Your Great Town ,And The Pier
IsAlways Our First Point Of Call Its AShame And A Disgrace Whom Is Ever Responsible For The Damage So We Are Very Disopinted In Not Having A PierTo Visit During OUR
Stay I Will Contact You In Two Weeks Time To Arrange A Meet With You In On Of The Pubs There Okay Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

well its a sad day for weston i did live in uphill and i had a job on the sea front and there was not a day go by that i never went in to town it just seem that it was weston and with out the pier it will never be the same but it seem that it will be put back to how it was with in the next 12 months so next year should be good and i hope it does not go the same way as the trop

Was so sad to hear about this on the news. I am not sure if this is the right place to show this photograph, but have found this postcard of the pier at Weston which was posted 6th August 1913 and thought you may all like to see it;

View attachment 16759

On the local news this evening it said that most of the pier is opening tomorrow the 31st. at 9am. its the constuction at the end that was burnt down, and the owner promises it will be rebuilt.

Mossy,
You have to wonder what else can hit Weston, it must be just about rock bottom at the moment. The Old Pier gone west, the Pool (Tropicana) gone west, the old layout of the Marine Lake gone west in the 1981 storm, the kids paddling pool gone west and now the Grand Pier gone west (and the Beach Bus Station I still miss too) Surely the only way left now is UP - we all look forward to that.
I heard today from a friend in a National Express booking office that sadly many folks up this way have cancelled tickets to WSM so the knock on is bound to hit a great many people in the town, unless this is offset a bit by other folks coming down to see the damage. Perhaps you could keep us posted on this.
Regards,
Mike

Mike
You are quite right Weston going west,but i must admit people are still coming down here to look at at the damage caused by the fire,part of the pier was open to the public yesterday,and the place was packed-day is steam day down on the front,

I will be popping down later to day:)Mossy

Well folks,just to keep you posted on the Pier we went down to town as is usual to have a walk along the pier,and have a few pints followed by fish and chips.

The place was rammed had a jazz band and bar on the existing part,so we decided to walk along to view the fire damage,to my amazement they were charging a £1 so on principle i did not go to have a look

The people who bought the pier less tha a year ago made their fortune from insurance companys,they have bought hotels and Winstons fish and chip bar and resturant,wich incidentally burn down not long after they had purchased it

Westonians are a little bit weary about the fire on the pier :(

Hi forum.. Looking through an old photo Album today from the 70s in St Marys Bay in Brixham Devon, what a wonderful holiday it was with Pontins holiday camp, just so near to our Caravan, it was bliss, fun times. Did you go there a fab place for many Brummie s Went there a 15 months ago it's still the same so fabulous but the pontins camp is now a department blocks expensive to buy not cheap..did you have trips to there would love to share any of your stories & photos of this place..thanks..

We used to go to the Waterside caravan site in between Paignton and Brixham but that would have been the late fifties. We moved to Torquay a few years ago but found it too lively so moved back to Cornwall.

Hi Christy, St Marys Bay was the first holiday my wife and i spent together 1969.We still go to Devon every year, and visit Brixham most times. We have just returned from Shaldon near Tieghmouth after spending Christmas and new year there with the family as we have done for the last few years. I really like it down there.

Hi nick cc & Robert. .I have a full photo album with all the gang enjoying ourselves at pontins & the Caravan park, The steps down to st marys bay, were build by the Canadian army in Ww2, went there 15 months ago stayed at the sea in st Marys it was bliss so natural, I will sort out a photo or two to post on here if you guys have sum wack afew on here if you wish..regards christy

Back