• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holidays : Holidays at home and days out

how i envy our members who live by the sea and or countyrside...never take this for granted because trust me being trapped in a concrete jungle for what will turn out to be an 18 months stretch has been no fun at all as most of our members will know...just wait until we are fully unlocked :D :D ..i have no desire to travel abroard anytime soon as i would not feel safe and i am not going to blow it now... the uk will do me fine...my urge is to get to the sea and the nearest easy run from here is probably weston...shorts..sun hat.. flip flops candy floss... ice cream and fish and chips :D so as soon as is allowed weston here i come stay safe everyone:):):)

lyn

Last edited:
how i envy our members who live by the sea and or countyrside...never take this for granted because trust me being trapped in a concrete jungle for what will turn out to be an 18 months stretch has been no fun at all as most of our members will know...just wait until we are fully unlocked :D :D ..i have no desire to travel abroard anytime soon as i would not feel safe and i am not going to blow it now... the uk will do me fine...my urge is to get to the sea and the nearest easy run from here is probably weston...shorts..sun hat.. flip flops candy floss... ice cream and fish and chips :D so as soon as is allowed weston here i come stay safe everyone:):):)

lyn
Lyn, I can taste the salt water already!

lyn
But are nthe fish & chips at Weston anything like as good as those from the black country museum?

I live in County Durham, about 10 miles to my local beach which we visit 2/3 times a week whatever the weather. Lots of gorgeous places to visit which we do/will visit when this damn virus is sorted. Maybe not the hot sun & warm sea that you get in Spain or Greece but who cares anymore !
We lived in Durham not far from Ushaw moor then the centre of Durham for 10 years and were out every weekend whilst the children were young, Hamsterley Forest was one of our favourites also the beaches around Alnwick etc but as we’ve become older and the children have their own families we just don’t bother anymore.

Smudger, Richard & Jim,

It sounds like you've all got it sorted. We're not beach people and rarely visit them unless with relatives over, and never did in the 40 years I lived in Bournemouth. Here I much prefer to go up in the mountains, lots of wildlife and no darned tourists! My Greek son-in-law's place is 2,000 feet up and stays a nice temperature even at the height of the summer, when it often reaches the high 30sC at only 800 feet up where we are. We just like to sit outside in his garden, which has a great view over the bay, have a cool drink and chat - can't beat it. Why would I want beaches with the hordes of Genghis Khan and the burning sun beating down on me? I don't even swim! :)

Maurice :cool:
Oh if it's beach v mountain then mountains win every time. When I've gone to Spain it's the Pyrenees, Slovenia it's Julian Alps, and then Switzerland and Norway aren't renowned for their beaches either.

lyn
Can I suggest Waterfront Fish Bar opposite the Grand Pier.

Smudger, Richard & Jim,

It sounds like you've all got it sorted. We're not beach people and rarely visit them unless with relatives over, and never did in the 40 years I lived in Bournemouth. Here I much prefer to go up in the mountains, lots of wildlife and no darned tourists! My Greek son-in-law's place is 2,000 feet up and stays a nice temperature even at the height of the summer, when it often reaches the high 30sC at only 800 feet up where we are. We just like to sit outside in his garden, which has a great view over the bay, have a cool drink and chat - can't beat it. Why would I want beaches with the hordes of Genghis Khan and the burning sun beating down on me? I don't even swim! :)

Get ready Maurice the Brits are coming...

On the news earlier Tui said booking to Crete went up 500% in the twelve hours after Johnson's speech. I hope the lifting of restrictions don't end in tears.

That said it will be Cyprus or Gran Canaria for all of October if its safe...covid owes me three holidays!

Pedro,

Unless I go into Aghios Nikolaos, our provincial capital 15 minutes drive away, I rarely see a tourist. Occasionally a few, who've hired a car, may stop and walk around the village, but it's not very often. In the current covid situation, I am grateful for that, and I expect that as much as the local government would like to see tourists, admission is only likely to be after showing proof of vaccination or a negative covid test within the previous 72 hours. Proof of vaccination is held on a central computer here and you can download your certificate 24 hours after your second vaccination.

What sort of foolproof system the UK will need to institute, I've no idea. After the second wave that started within a couple of weeks of allowing tourists, the Greek authorities are certainly not going to risk this happening again. Currently we are still under curfew from 9:00pm until 5:00am and only food shops and a few other places are open, so we have a way to go yet. I'm not sure how many Russians we shall see this year as the last influx was sent straight back when they landed in Athens, but they own three large hotels in Aghios Nikolaos and several in Elounda, so I guess that they will try and get their money's worth! :)

If anyone is coming, try and avoid July and August as it can get unbearably hot if you're not used to it. Any time after the kids have gone back to school is best!

RichardinWales,

Some friends in Cheshire, who own a house around the corner that my partner looks after, have now sold it, but the flights to finalise the deal and clear out their stuff in March were cancelled and moved back to 4 May. It's a very fluid situation at both ends at the moment.

Last edited:
Mountains and beaches ? You can’t beat the old volcanoes of the Black Country.
We regularly walk through Barrow Hill (Barry Bank we call it:)), great place for blackberry picking when they are in season. Jen

Pedro,

Unless I go into Aghios Nikolaos, our provincial capital 15 minutes drive away, I rarely see a tourist. Occasionally a few, who've hired a car, may stop and walk around the village, but it's not very often. In the current covid situation, I am grateful for that, and I expect that as much as the local government would like to see tourists, admission is only likely to be after showing proof of vaccination or a negative covid test within the previous 72 hours. Proof of vaccination is held on a central computer here and you can download your certificate 24 hours after your second vaccination.

What sort of foolproof system the UK will need to institute, I've no idea. After the second wave that started within a couple of weeks of allowing tourists, the Greek authorities are certainly not going to risk this happening again. Currently we are still under curfew from 9:00pm until 5:00am and only food shops and a few other places are open, so we have a way to go yet. I'm not sure how many Russians we shall see this year as the last influx was sent straight back when they landed in Athens, but they own three large hotels in Aghios Nikolaos and several in Elounda, so I guess that they will try and get their money's worth! :)

If anyone is coming, try and avoid July and August as it can get unbearably hot if you're not used to it. Any time after the kids have gone back to school is best!

Our daughter got married on Crete in 2017. We stayed in the Stella Palace Hotel Resort and Spa; they had the civil wedding then the ceremony at a small chapel that is onsite. Beautiful island and real five star service at the resort, wonderful staff and food.

I lived on Cyprus back in the 80s and wish now we'd bought a place over there. I'm retired now so pre covid I'd just book a cheap flight and an apartment off Airbnb and hope I can start doing that again by the end of 2021.

I'm lucky, I'm a short(ish) drive to the Brecon Beacons and the Gower Peninsula so day trips are sorted and we still go family camping (weekends) here in Wales. Growing up in brum day trips were often to places like the Cotswolds and we'd have caravan holidays.

It would be nice to think brits will stay in the UK and boost the home economy when restrictions are lifted but truth be told the draw of a €1 pint and €2 full English will be too strong to ignore for many.
Richard, are you saying that beer is 2x in the uk vs Europe?

RichardinWales,

I presume that you are referring to the western end of Crete as I am not familiar with the Stella Palace, though I have been to several English weddings and lots of Greek weddings over here. I certainly prefer the countryside here to that of Spain, which I though was fairly barren and uninteresting. I've never been to Cyprus, and only a couple of times up the other end of Crete. Although this island is only about 160 miles long, we have no railways and only a good highway for part of the distance. Once you get off of that, you're back to ordinary roads, many twisty with steep gradients, so going from the eastern end to the western end takes around 7 hours whatever car you've got.

Talking of Railway Posters, here is a site that may bring back a few memories...

lyn
But you might attract other seasidey things

IMG-20210224-WA0008.jpg

RichardinWales,

I presume that you are referring to the western end of Crete as I am not familiar with the Stella Palace, though I have been to several English weddings and lots of Greek weddings over here. I certainly prefer the countryside here to that of Spain, which I though was fairly barren and uninteresting. I've never been to Cyprus, and only a couple of times up the other end of Crete. Although this island is only about 160 miles long, we have no railways and only a good highway for part of the distance. Once you get off of that, you're back to ordinary roads, many twisty with steep gradients, so going from the eastern end to the western end takes around 7 hours whatever car you've got.

On Cyprus I was much happier in the village playing Tavli than in town with the tourists and off season was my favourite time of year. Many times I'd take some food to the Roman amphitheatre in the early morning and I'd be the only one there, sitting eating fruit and ham...happy days.

RichardinWales,

You can't beat it! What has happened in quite a few places on Crete is the the Kafeneons have been taken over by a new younger generation that want to see some profit for their work. So the days when the old men would sit outside playing Tavli and buy a cheap Greek coffee about once ever two or three hours are starting to disappear. Whereas the school children now seem to have more money than the old men and more time on their hands, are quite happy to sit eight to a table and buy a Coke or whatever, so sadly things are changing. The old men, profitable or not, were the essence of traditional Crete and never objected to having their photos being taken, so any tourists went away happy.

RichardinWales,

You can't beat it! What has happened in quite a few places on Crete is the the Kafeneons have been taken over by a new younger generation that want to see some profit for their work. So the days when the old men would sit outside playing Tavli and buy a cheap Greek coffee about once ever two or three hours are starting to disappear. Whereas the school children now seem to have more money than the old men and more time on their hands, are quite happy to sit eight to a table and buy a Coke or whatever, so sadly things are changing. The old men, profitable or not, were the essence of traditional Crete and never objected to having their photos being taken, so any tourists went away happy.

And soon Maurice the memories of our past will be gone forever!

You're right there, Richard, very little stays still even in rural Greece. We've got quite a few deserted or near-deserted villages, or rather hamlets, where the young have moved away and the old 'uns have died. I can think of two within 6 miles of here - one desolate and the sheep and 5 or 6 dogs have taken over. I'm a bit wary of going right into that one, though I think it is most likely that the dogs are just excited that anyone has gone near the place. Some of the surrounding people make sure that the desolate church gets painted every 4 or 5 years.

The other, almost in a hollow as the mountain goes right round it, has just three old people still living there. They're very friendly and welcoming and it's a favourite haunt of photographic groups becuase you can wander in & out of the old derelict houses and no one minds. Some looks as if the former occupants hadn't long left. These are the sort of interesting places that tourists never see and many don't even leave their hotels & pools. They can miss an awful lot of interesting stuff. And the island has 9,000 caves, only 3,000 explored so far, and lots of antiquities way off the beaten track. It just depends what you want to do on your holiday, but the few people who may take the trouble to seek out these things will have far more memories than those just lounging by the hotel pool.

RichardinWales,

I'll tell you one thing Maurice, the Cypriots don't like it when a brummie starts beating them at Tavli ;)

Change happens everywhere, we went to Paris for a weekend in 2018, not been for years and the youngsters were there drinking coke and smoking Marlboro, the day of vin rouge and Gauloises are gone. But that said, here in Wales go back ten years and the OAPs would be in the pub having a pint and pie and chips, these days they'll have an espresso then pasta...who'd of thought it :)

it may only be a day trip but i am so looking forward to being able to walk on a beach again and stand looking at the sea so i am off on sunday or monday to wales armed with a few sandwiches...cake and flask of tea:) although not completely out of the woods yet its a start

have to be honest and say that the awful pandemic we have had has really made me appreciate the freedom we all had and took for granted before covid took over our lives...i feel like a little girl again waiting excitedly to go on a family holiday...i may even borrow my grandsons bucket and spade:D

lyn

Last edited:
We have been at our caravan for the last couple of weeks It overlooks the sea at Mundesley North Norfolk. We have been to Cromer and Sheringham and walked on our beach. I agree with you the freedom of being able to travel again and get sea air, even though we have had a powerful cold North easterly, has been wonderful.

historic England have published a book of aerial photos from the 20C showing the seaside resorts. It costs 50 quid, but some can be seen on the BBC new site.

Pedro, a great link, than’ you! Most before my time, however I do remember many of those areas. I will have to check with BBC here, they are continuing to develop a strong presence in the US and in our area have two TV channels that carry a lot of BBC and now they are streaming!

Back