• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holders Brewery

We think there is a possibility that this may be from a Horse Harness.
Do any other members on the Forum have any other thoughts as I would find it so interesting if it's thought that it may be from a Horse Harness.
Lynn Stratton

Hi Lynn,

I would think it was a blinker brass from the horse's harness.
Brasses with the company name were quite common.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Lynn,

I would think it was a blinker brass from the horse's harness.
Brasses with the company name were quite common.

Kind regards
Dave
Thanks Dave, I thank-you for your information on this and that would give me the thought that Sir John Holder may have owned his own horses and equipment in harvesting for the brewery in Birmingham.
Kind regards,
Lynn Stratton.

Hi Lynn,

Just reread my post, and realised that I may have given the impression that brasses with
Holders on were quite common. I should have said company named brasses in general.
I have one that comes to mind with MR on which I would think was Midland Railway.

Kind regards
Dave

Thanks Dave, What I am really wondering is when the company name was on the brass would the company, "in those days," have possibly owned the horses and equipment for harvesting the field that the Wheat or Barley was grown in.
Anybody have any views on that.
Kind regards,
Lynn Stratton.

Very many thanks for the above attachment Oldun - much appreciated. Nova Scotia Street - no more, so good to collect the history attached. I wonder what W.E.F.-H. on the letter heading, stands for as the Reference to quote.
Regards,
Lynn Stratton.

Last edited:
Hi Oldun, On enlarging the letters on the letter heading it looks more like W.E.P.-H and may just be the initials of the person dealing with the matter and the H being Holder.
I will look back on any other letter headings that I may have of Holder's Brewery when I get to find where I've filed them and will post on here if I can find out anything.

Lynn Stratton.

Hi Lynn,H for Holder seems right.I don’t have any more for Holder’s but will look with interest to see if you have any.Good luck,Oldun.

Back