• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holders Brewery

Aidan

master brummie
I had never heard of this brewery until I found a pic and on the Steam Buses thread

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about it - where it was located, pictures etc?

Aidan
It was in Nova Scotia St, just north of Curzon St station

map_Holders_brewery_c_1912.jpg

The trusty https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk adds

Holder's Brewery was founded c.1872 by John Charles Holder and was based at the Midland Brewery in Nova Scotia Street. This was just inside the boundary between Birmingham and Aston. The tiled mouldings, blue faience facade and the glazed wall mouldings of the Craven Arms in Upper Gough Street remain ultra rare advertisements for Holder's Ales. The company was acquired by Mitchell's and Butler's in 1919 and the Midland Brewery was closed in 1923.

Peter W has just started an excellent thread on Birmingham's Steam Tram's and one of them has an advertising for Holder's

as usual kieron fantastic information you really do work hard on this the photo you posted on your site of the villa tavern is great and that makes 2 photos now of that pub we have...ps sending you an email

lyn

Last edited:
John Holders first brewery was in Gem Street (by 1872) and was called the Midland Brewery. The building plans for the Nova Scotia Street brewery start from 1875.

John and later Sir John Holder was clearly an important Birmingham Brewer, having some 300 public houses by the time Mitchells & Butlers acquired the business.

An advert from 1885 was published in the Birmingham Daily Gazette.

Holders.jpg

Looking through the Railway & Canal Historical Society Weaver Collection, I noticed this 1964 view of Warwick Bar that shows in the background Curzon Street Goods, the LNWR Signalbox at Proof House and the Nova Scotia Brewery.

This brewery would seem to be quite large.

45645.jpg

the holder's midland brewery appears to have become the wacaden dairy soon after it was closed by holder's successors, m & b, in 1923 - and was finally demolished as part of the jennen's road development around 1972. the ormiston acadamy was built approximately on the site in 2011. there are good views of it (as the wacaden dairy) in a couple of 1960s photographs of the curzon street railway goods station.

Last edited:
Hi all,i found this on Sunday on a metal detecting rally in barnt green in evershem in The midlands,in the middle of a farmers field.After looking up the name i found this group and im hoping any of you members could give me any information on this badge/motif/emblem. Many thanks jason

Attachments

• 20210621_132639.jpg
    20210621_132639.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
what a great find jason...must be very old i would think..is there a pin on the back of it so that it can be worn as a badge or is it just plain...

lyn

It to big and to heavy to be a badge is there anyway of finding out what it was used for

Attachments

• 20210621_201606.jpg
    20210621_201606.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
A little write up about Holders donating land for the General Hospital. (Abel and Thomas Taylor are my paternal relatives) .

Attachments

• Abel and thomas taylor steelhouse lane 2.JPG
    Abel and thomas taylor steelhouse lane 2.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 17
Hi all,i found this on Sunday on a metal detecting rally in barnt green in evershem in The midlands,in the middle of a farmers field.After looking up the name i found this group and im hoping any of you members could give me any information on this badge/motif/emblem. Many thanks jason
Hi Jason, I have a very large collection of memorabilia that I will finally leave to one of the Holder family.
Have never seen this particular badge/motif/emblem before.
Many thanks for posting it,
Lynn Stratton.

Last edited:
Back