• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HOLDENS BREWERY

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
I am tying to find some information for a friend of mine.
Has anyone any knowledge of Holdens Brewery Birmingham.
Any infomation gratefully received :wink:

Hi postie
Holden's is a small Dudley brewery and like Banks most of their pubs are in Wolverhampton and Dudley
I can get you a list of their pubs if you want it but I haven't got any knowledge of the history of the brewery.

Hiyah Postie, Our M8 Jerry is right on,

Holdens Brewery is in George St, Woodsetton, Dudley

Try Google for more info on it , Ok M8 :) John

They used to do a nice botteld beer called Holdens Golden

Postie!
It may be a bit late in the day, but I wonder if you meant Holder's brewery, not Holden's as in Dudley. Holder's was founded in the 1870s, and appears in the 1879 Directory, then at 33 Gem Street, run by Henry Holder of Hanley Castle, Worcs. In the 1888 directory the Gem Street address had necome the bottle store, and the brewery was round the corner in Nova Scotia Street. The same appears in 1895, but the 1913 directory shows the bottle store in Nova Scotia Street, over or behind Mrs Elizabeth Lloyd's beer house. The firm was taken over by Mitchells and Butlers in 1919 and the brewery closed in 1923. According to the pubs genealogy web site, The tiled mouldings, blue faience facade and the glazed wall mouldings of the Craven Arms in Upper Gough Street remain ultra rare advertisements for Holder's Ales. I got some of this info from the following web site, which is highly recommended.
https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/genealogy/birmingham.htm
Peter

Back