• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holborn Hill

pedlarman

master brummie
Hi, Folks,

I have just received a Birth Certificate - my grandad's! - which says that his mom and dad were living at Holborn Hill, Aston, at the time of his birth in 1871.

Can anyone tell me where Holborn Hill is - or was?

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman) :)
icon14.gif

I think it ran from Lichfield Rd to Long Acre, but if I'm wrong somebody will put us right.

This map is 1945, the main roads have changed but the side roads are much the same. Holborn Hill is still there

Holborn Hill runs from Lichfield Rd.to Nechells Park Rd.The Swanpool pub,(listed building)is the Lichfield Rd.end and there's another pub (listed building)the other end,My gran had a shop there,the corner of Plume St.

re Holborn Hill .Holborn Hill only had houses on one side of the road from Long Acre to Lichfield Road,the side that Plume St is on.I remember them well because I lived in Malvern Hill Road and we walked up and down the hill to catch the Midland Red to Sutton.Some of the houses were knocked down at the Long Acre end to make a bigger carpark for FOSECO(originally Foundry Services Company) in the 1960,s.I joined the company in 1968 and the carpark was there then. On the corner was a liitle shop run by Fred and FOSECO put him in a shop across the road in Long Acre. My Great Granmother lived at no 11 Holborn Hill from mid 1880 till she went into a nursing home in her 90,s about 1957.No 11 is between Nechells Park Road and Long Acre on the left hand side as you go down towards Lichfield Road just before the right turn into Cook Street on the right hand side of the road
Hope that makes sense Polly

In my last post I said NO 11 is in Holborn Hill ,that should be was.All the old Houses have long gone but although I visit quite often i remembers things how they were when I left in the early 70,s.Polly

Thanks, Polly - and all you other helpful mates.

I have to depend a lot on other folk coming to my aid to pinpoint some areas because I am tethered to an oxygen hose and, as yet, haven't the muscles to carry a mobile oxygen cykinder - or even to get too mobile..!

In 1871 my grandad's family lived, apparently at the back of a No, 56. Wonder whether No. 56 was a house or some kind of workshop?

Grandad's father was, I understand, a Coachmaker...

Thanks again for your help, folks. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim Pedley
icon14.gif

My gran & grandad outside their shop,on the corner of Holborn Hill and Plume St.number 76.I think there were only houses on this side of the road,the other side was Johnny Wrights factory.
My grandad pictured here his brother and father,were also coach builder's at the Metro.

Jim
Can't find no 56 mentioned in any of my directories. it was on the north side between plume St and long Acre. the 1902 map shows several terraces leading off the road, but no yards which might be listed as Back of", so i suspect there was some changes between then 1971 and then
mike

Mikejee, and all the rest of you obliging mates who dive to my assistance:

Once again, thanks for your efforts. The items you offer me are extremely enlightening and often add to my family research.

Heartlands is like having a mobile local history encyclopaedia at your fingertips...!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

:culpability:Holborn Hill ran from Lichfield road to Aston church Street.

Last edited:
If you Google Earth Holborn Hill and go to the bottom by the canal lock...you will see a scrap metal company 'Warhurst Metals'. This must be the company that belonged to Roy Warhurst, Birmingham City FCs fine left half of the 50s and captain for a while. I understand from here that he died some time ago in a trailer there. A great player for the Blues; before the big bucks days.

hi zena
the people in the top row of the first picture are my grandparents and my father, the other people are their next door neighbors.
holborn hill, nechells in the 1920's
sammie

Looking at this picture of Holborn Hill, I get the impression that this was originally part of the Aston engine shed complex (now occupied by Presslite Ltd.). Can anybody shed (sorry) some light on this?holborn hill.jpg

The wall was originally built around 1900 as part of the Essex works of John Wright & Eagle Range Ltd. It manufactured gas stoves, heaters and other gas equipment.

Thanks for that quick reply, I thought it looked quite an old building. From memory I did think that the shed was more on the Long Acre side, regularly used to go there trainspotting in the early 60s.

john somewhere in the back of my mind i think i have a pic of the shed...i will have to check for you..mind you i have that many photos i could be mitaken:D

lyn

john is this any good...i know its longacre running down and holborn hill across as my sisters house now stands on the waste ground on the right corner which i believe is where the white horse pub stood

lyn

-longacre1-late1950s-chris-historicalresearchblog-creativecommons.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult to tell but the buildings have a raised section, for ventilation presumably. Either way it's a great image. Have you seen thesepark lane opposite #143.jpg park lane with neales opp clarendon street.jpg Park Lane images showing the Neales (boot repairers side)? the one image is exactly opposite my uncles bicycle shop (Keights). I'm getting closer all the time and sure I will find an image eventually.

yes ive got those...i take it you have seen the park lane thread..loads of photos on it?? i will keep an eye out for keights for you...no worries about copyright

lyn

john is this any good...i know its longacre running down and holborn hill across as my sisters house now stands on the waste ground on the right corner which i believe is where the white swan pub stood

lyn

View attachment 127098
Hi Lyn can you give us a bit of perspective on the photo of Long Acre and Holborn Hill, is it looking downhill towards Lichfield Road or up the other way towards town?

john here is a map showing the shed on longacre which i think confirms that my photo on post does show the shed you remember..the building marked in blue was the white swan pub and as said earlier my sisters house now occupies that ground

lyn

long acre map 2.jpg

Back