• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hoey family Lozells Road Church 1940's.

JeffH

Brummie babby
Looking for details or photos of any of the Hoey family that lived in the caretakers house at 242 Lozells Road

Welcome to the forum JeffH. enjoy your time with us.
Our members are happy to help in search for ancestors as part of Birmingham history but we would like members to share their Birmingham family history and add some dates if possible.

Your Hoey family at Lozells road in 1939
John Hoey b 13th Feb 1890 (johns birthdate registered as 1892)
Caroline c b 24th Feb 1890
Lily b 27th May 1913
Caroline b 8th Nov 1917
Florence b 9th March 1920
John b 27 April 1911
Isabella b 1913 (Johns wife formerly Osman)
there are 2 blacked out entries probably Doris b 1923 and Arthur b 1925,
all the above born in Sunderland

John Hoey married Caroline Collins Gibb in 1910.

Johns parents Thomas Hoey b 1852 Ireland m Esther Warren b 1857 Sunderland in 1873.
Carolines parents Robert Gibb and Jane buckett both b Monkswear in 1855 married 1878,

Lily Hoey m Philip Young
Caroline m Stanley Miilichamp
Florence m (1) Clarence Buffery and (2) Henry MacDonald
Doris m Thomas W Hoey
Arthur Hoey m Muriel Woakes

I wonder what brought them to Birmingham from being a Coal miner in Sunderland.

Last edited:
Possibly looking for more prospects after the coal strikes of the post WW1 period

In 1950 the e roll lists John, Caroline, Doris, Thomas, Arthur and Muriel at 242.
On 1955 e roll John and Isabella are listed at 223 Lozells Road. In 1962 they are still there but at 225 there are John and Sheila Hoey.

I was born at 242 Lozells road on 11.03.1947 Doris and Thomas and have a younger brother Keith born in Woodstock Road,Handsworth on 10.02.1955.
My paternal grandparents lived at No.1 Church street, Lozells and would love any information on this part of the family.
I know my grans name was Mary Jane [ nee swallow ] and my grandfather was the brother of John Hoey of 242 Lozells Road
Possibly looking for more prospects after the coal strikes of the post WW1 period
Yes my grandfather was one of the Jarrrow Marchers and decided to come to Birmingham for work obtaining the job of caretaker at Lozells Church Lozells Road, his whole family moved with him.
In 1950 the e roll lists John, Caroline, Doris, Thomas, Arthur and Muriel at 242.
On 1955 e roll John and Isabella are listed at 223 Lozells Road. In 1962 they are still there but at 225 there are John and Sheila Hoey.
John and Sheila were john and Isabelles son and daughter in law.

My parents were cousins my mother was the daughter of John Hoey [the caretaker] and my father was the son of his brother at church street.

Hi Jeff, this is a really strange coincidence as we have just started to look at our family trees and been tracking the Hoey's move from Sunderland to Birmingham. My wife's father is Christopher Hoey who is the son of John and Isabella of 242 Lozells Road. If we've worked it out correctly you would be Chris' cousin?

Hi, Yes I am the cousin of Christopher,his brother John and Valerie Hoey the children of John and Belle ,John being my mothers brother. How strange you are looking at the same time as me.If I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me.
Could you let me know if Chris is ok? Regards , Jeff. Ihave a list of all Johns brothers and sisters who have all now passed on.

Morning Jeff and thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to say that Chris sadly passed away in 2016. So far we have been particularly looking at Isabella and her siblings. It appears that there parents Joseph and Florence May Osman died in 1921 and 1922 when Isabella May was 8/9 but the next thing we can find is when she marries John in 1937 in Sunderland, we really want to find out where she was in between. For John and John senior we want to look into war records. We believe that Chris' Dad was a POW in WW2. If you could share anything and further info on John's brothers and sisters that would be great and if there is anything you think we can help you with let us know. You might have also received a message from our daughter Kelsey via a family tree site. Thanks and take care Richard

Hi Richard, so sorry to hear of Chris's passing,I do not remember how much older than me he was

If you look at my first entry on here you will find all the info of Chris'S DADS FAMILY. After John passed Isabella moved to Stockwell Road, Handsworth, Birmingham 21 and later moved to Hinckley where she passed on.

She worked at Pattisons Bakery in Bordesley Green for many years with my mother Rene [Doris irene] and my aunt Lily both uncle Johns sisters.I believe she then worked in Smethwick but do not know the companies name. She was a very jolly lady,and my wife Viv and myself loved her to bits.
Johns mother and father were John Hoey and Caroline collins Gibb
I will write again soon
Take care

Jeff

Hi again Jeff and thank you.

Chris was born in 1944, my wife Barbara has wonderful memories of Isabella (Nanny Hoey) and fond memories of Stockwell Road which they moved to in 1964. Her most treasured memories are of summer holiday visits to her bungalow in Hinckley and the grocery and pop delivery vans that used to arrive in the cul de sac. We started off looking into her past as we always knew there was a gap and that intrigues us. Thanks also for Caroline's maiden name as we hadn't found that yet.

It's great to have connected with you and let's keep each other updated on our journey.

Take care

Richard and Barbara

Hi Richard, Thanks for info given today. I remember Aunt Belle telling me she was taken in I beleive by a Mrs.Fowler in Sunderland. I know she came to Lozells Road for xmas one year when I was about 8 or 9, but thats all I remember of her.
Hope that helps with your search.
Will keep in touch. My E-mail address is [email protected]
Regards
Jeff. Ps. Where do you live? I am in Telford Shropshire.

Back