• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hodge Hill Junior School

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
From British History online:

HODGE HILL COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Washwood Heath.Stechford Rd. Council Sch. opened 1936 by Birm. C.B.C. in temporary buildings accom. 96 JI. Permanent building, accom. 288 JI, opened 1937. Accom. for 192 provided 1943. Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 14 classrooms, hall.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I remember Miss Bird very well. I went to Stechford road school (as it was known then)in September 1951, when the headmaster was Mr Barley, who was a lovely man. I remember that during my 1st year at the school, 2 children were killed on the pedestrian crossing by a lorry which went out of control. I would be interested to know if anyone else remembers the incident.
Some years later, we moved house to Hodge Hill . I was surprised to discover that Miss Bird lived in Brockhurst Road with her father.

I too went to Stechford Road School c1950 but don't remember the accident on the crossing. I remember Mr Barley as he turned me down for a choir visit to Thornton Road School. Apparently I couldn't sing! A friend, Phil Scriven, has photos of some children from those times.

I too went to Stechford Road School c1950 but don't remember the accident on the crossing. I remember Mr Barley as he turned me down for a choir visit to Thornton Road School. Apparently I couldn't sing! A friend, Phil Scriven, has photos of some children from those times.
I have a group photo of the reception class, with the girls dressed as fairies & Philip Scriven in a pixie outfit!!!.

Yes that sounds like one I have seen. What years were you attending this school. Maybe I know you from those times.

JudyTink

I started in September 1950 & left in July 1956. I'm still in touch with Christine Pearce (now Bennett). We started on the same day & our birthdays are 2 weeks apart.... we won't mention how many we have had !!!

Marion Judson (nee Davis)

Hi Marion
Nice to hear from you again after all those years. Phil has another class photo in which you appear. Is there any way to send you a private message on this interesting forum? Oh, by the way, I'm Judy Hawker (nee Bradbury) and have been in touch with a few others over the years.
JudyTink

Hi Judy. Now I know your surname, of course I remember you.
If I remember rightly, your mum had a florists shop in Coleshill Road. (or was that someone else.)
I Think you can send a private message by clicking on my name. Not sure though.

Back