• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hodge Hill Girls Grammar School

Hi Sue, don't have any photos I'm afraid but did attend the years you mention. If I remember correctly there were 4 classes in each year, the brainy ones did Latin and the next down German and the likes of me French. I remember a few names of classmates, Janet Gregory, Jane Hole, Valerie Hudson, Beverley Young, Gillian Hughes, Ann Hutchinson. My other friends were in other classes, Barbara Cox and Glenis Walker. Seems an age ago now, straw boaters and berets. Do you remember the new school uniform they bought in, one with a Peter Pan collar and the other with a drawstring waist. One of my lasting memories was of our English teacher Mr Costigan. We had an outing to the Gaumont to see Lenord Whiting and Olivia Hussey in Romeo and Juliet. Remember the naked scene.....I think he must have got through a whole packet of cigarettes. I think he left to teach in South Africa.
I went to Hodge Hill Girls Grammar from 1966 - 1973. I remember you Carolyn and Barbara Cox. Some great memories. Certainly remember going to see Romeo & Juliet film which was a great treat. Also remember going to visit London Zoo in the first or second year and ripping my school uniform on the camel ride - Mom was not pleased! Certainly remember Frau Rice who was lovely as our German teacher, even if she did make us sing German folk songs. Mrs Ede was our French teacher and I think the wife of the local vicar. I also remember Mr.Hardwick and his habit of throwing the blackboard rubber if you said anything stupid! I remember Mr.Evans, the Geography Teacher and his ‘annotated diagrams’, and Mr. Tout who always wore a rose in his lapel and was a very kind Maths teacher, although I wasn’t the brightest student at Maths. Miss Rolfe and Miss May were strict but fair and I really enjoyed their English lessons - every morning one of them would sweep into the Hall for Assembly wearing their black gowns. And lastly, I remember the hymn we used to sing at the end of each year - God be in my head - which was very solemn and sad, and always used to make me want to cry!

Back