• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hodge Hill Church

Claribel

master brummie
Does anyone know if a church stood on Hodge Hill Common before the present church, St Philips and St James that was built in the 60s, if so what was the name of it? and has anyone any photos?
Thanks Clive

Kelly's 1949 shows St.Philip & St.James's Church HALL on Hodge Hill Common

Colin

Thanks Cromwell and Colin B,
It's just that I have heard that the new church was built on the same ground as the old one, seems that that is wrong.

Clive

St Philips and St James, Hodge hill

There was a previous church (described variously as a 'dual-purpose' church / a church hall / dual-purpose hall) on the present site. To quote a 1971 publication "In the early hours of 24th January 1966, a fire broke out in the clergy vestry" and it was burnt down. The remains after the fire were demolished.

The present St Philips and St James was opened by the Bishop of Birmingham, Dr J L Wilson, on 5th October 1968.

My wife's family were regular churchgoers at both the previous and the current church. As well as being on the planning committee for the 1968 church, my father in law wrote a history of the church - our copy buried under tons of his stuff in our loft (in case you were thinking of asking for more info!!).

However, we do have to hand a booklet "Hodge Hill - St Philip and St James, The Multipurpose Church" pub. the University of Birmingham, 1971, ed. Prof J G Davies, which includes a November 1965 plan of the site and stats on baptisms / confirmations going back to 1960. The publication describes the planning for a new parsonage and a new church on the site to complement the existing church hall - planning which changed mid-term after the fire destroyed the church hall.

My wife believes the previous church was a 20thC building.

Thanks for the information nairdy, it is very helpful.
My interest is that I work in the charity shop situated inside the church, and one of the lady's asked me to try too find out about the history of the church.
The church is now nearly 40 years old and is in need of a makeover, it is still a very active church and is used a lot by the local people for various activities.

My grandfather Raymond Hemmings's funeral was on 24th January 1966. Family stories go that he had a grudge with the then vicar and swore that if the family had his funeral there he would burn it down! .... makes one think. Good to know it was rebuilt and is still well used.

In 2008 it was deemed that the high cost of repairs to the building were uneconomic and the church was closed. The Anglican congregation moved to share the building of the ‘Blue Cross' United Reform Church on Coleshill Road.

Thats a shame, seems there is a lot of churchs in that position.

I was confirmed at St Phillips and St James in the 80's attended every sunday until I moved out of the area Michael Dodd was the vicar at that time.It's a pity it has had to close.

Around1954 the old church hall buildings served as classrooms for the new Bromford Junior School which was not yet open. I was a pupil there, my teacher being Mr Marriott. I remember it consisting of two wooden huts of mainly wooden construction; one of them also serving as a boy scout hut. I remember school dinners in steel containers being delivered in a small blue van. Very happy days.

I attended regularly in the late 50s & early 60s & was confirmed from there in 1958 or thereabouts although the actual confirmation took place at All Saints Shard End
The clergy were Dennis Ede & Peter Heaps.

I attended regularly in the late 50s & early 60s & was confirmed from there in 1958 or thereabouts although the actual confirmation took place at All Saints Shard End
The clergy were Dennis Ede & Peter Heaps.
I remember Denis Ede when he was a curate at St. Giles, Sheldon. One winter a bunch of us came across him walking in the snow in his full curate gear, "Go on, throw a snowball at me!", he said. Only one boy dared to..

Some pictures of Rev. Denis Eade when he was a curate at St. Giles, Sheldon.
scm001.jpg
Denis Eade seated on the right, Douglas Strickland behind, Bishop of Birmingham seated left.
scm002.jpg
Mr Thomas, choir master, Douglas Strickland and Denis Eade.

He looks so young there.
I remember his wife Angela who was a teacher at Hodge Hill Girl's school & I believe she subsequently became head teacher.
I also remember the previous Priest in Charge, Philip Hussey.

Back