• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley

Apologies if this has already been answered.

Where exactly was the Brook in Hockley Brook and when did it disappear?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi dave it has not disappeard its still flowing..runs alongside the maisonettes at villa st/hunters vale...surely you saw it when you lived in brougham st lol..most times when i am down the old end i take a peek at it and always did when passing it to go back and forth to farm st school..bit here about it and if you go to this thread and go to post 137 i have posted some pics of it...actually as a youngster our kid used to climb down those ladders to the bottom and paddle in the brook and we can both well remember the brook in heavy rain rising those high walls to almost touching distance..as a young lad our dad lived in the upper maisonette next to the brook so had a great view of it..

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41628&page=10&highlight=hockley+brook

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockley_Brook

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn, Yes I do have memories as a kid, but I'd assumed that, with all the development since I've been living down in Somerset this last 40 odd years, that it had been routed through pipes/sewers and had disappeared. It's nice to know it's still there.

no change of route as far as i know dave..actually i am glad you bought up the subject of hockley brook as i have some new photos to add to that thread of the actual floods of 1923..

lyn

thanks carol that is one of the photos i am going to post on the hockley brook thread cracking photo..in 1923 it would have been the old back to back housing of hunters vale on right..dad lived those back to backs up to about 37/38 when they were demolished as the water damage from the floods made them unsafe to live in...dad and his parents then moved to the new maisonettes at the side of the brook...they were offered an up or down maisonette and dads mom said we will take an upstairs one just in case the brook floods again..

lyn

Last edited:
This picture was posted on another forum, and I would like to know whereabouts it is. it is captioned Birmingham, Hockley 1906. I read the sign over the door as A.Douglas, Diamond Dealer. I cant make out the bottom line. I wonder if anyone could do a look up in the directories or electoral roll or wherever you look. I would like it confirmed if it is in Hockley.

Attachments

• 12716343_10207321310464435_3038689972158755359_o.jpg
    12716343_10207321310464435_3038689972158755359_o.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 49
Hi Terry

I have looked through the directories and can find no trace of your A. Douglas, either under the Trades or Commercial listings for the early 1900's,There are quite a few other Hockley's throughout this country and one has to wonder if it has been tied to Hockley because of the diamond connection. Looking at the photo it looks a bit rural for our Hockley even for 1904.

Perhaps a census search might come up with better results?

I'm not sure it says Diamond Dealer. If you invert , it looks a bit more like Licenced dealer to me. And could last word be tobacconist?

Attachments

• A douglas.jpg
    A douglas.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 27
Youngest of six lived in heaton street in the sixties family names Spencer .

Researching family tree mom and dad Bert and Elsie I remember the flat I went to all saints school but being youngest don't remember much more anyone out there remember my family ?

hello jezza i had rellies in heaton st but long before you were there...i have these 2 photos of the street

lyn

Heaton%20Street.jpg heaton_street_small_factory.jpg

Hi Jessa2
Are you related to the spencers whom was the fruit and veg people on the flat
I think they may had sold to the groom bridges years later
My cousins was the Phelps whom lived down the. Bottom end by the garage
Bryan, and Barry Phelps and aunty winning and uncle harry Phelps
Best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,,

thanks for the photos carolina...the one on post 54 is delightful and a new one to me...was the mission also in heaton st ?

cheers

lyn

hello jezza i had rellies in heaton st but long before you were there...i have these 2 photos of the street

lyn

View attachment 107874 View attachment 107875
Hi Lynn

That's really kind of you with the photos especially as it shows my house 2 down from the factory .

My family must have known yr relatives as I was youngest of 6 born 1960 and my father was born in 1927 same house as where his parents ( my grandparents ) lived from early twenties . So well established family on the street .
Don't remember much other than going up the flat watching cattle being unloaded into the butchers and going with my brother to meet his then girlfriend now wife of forty years from work at Samuals at the bottom of the road .
What was the name of yr relatives I could ask my siblings if they remember them ?

hi jezza well how wonderful that one of the pics shows your old house...that is good news...i well remember our mom taking me shopping with her from where we lived in villa st to the flat..think my lasting memory of that is seeing rows of rabbits hanging outside one of the shops...my rellies in heaton st were the froggatts but they were there in 1891 so well before your family...

lyn

Hi Jessa2
Are you related to the spencers whom was the fruit and veg people on the flat
I think they may had sold to the groom bridges years later
My cousins was the Phelps whom lived down the. Bottom end by the garage
Bryan, and Barry Phelps and aunty winning and uncle harry Phelps
Best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,,
Hi Alan

I don't believe so but in early stages of doing my family tree , however after talking to my brothers/sisters they think it's coincidence only . Reds jezza

Back