• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley

hi jezza well how wonderful that one of the pics shows your old house...that is good news...i well remember our mom taking me shopping with her from where we lived in villa st to the flat..think my lasting memory of that is seeing rows of rabbits hanging outside one of the shops...my rellies in heaton st were the froggatts but they were there in 1891 so well before your family...

lyn
Yeah I picked up on it straight away Lyn , only wish I could remember more . The rabbits I would suggest are likely to be the same butchers where the livestock was unloaded every Saturday I watched .
Not sure where villa street was but did have uncle in Park rd and family friends in Ford street I went to All saints school my sisters to a school further on by the prison

Ford Street 1950. There was always a lamp post when I was there in the late 40s/50s just to the left handside of the picture where we lived and used to swing on, its almost opposite the lamp post on the right side. So I dont know why its not on this picture.

Ford_Street_1950.jpg
What a great pic Carolina. My first job on leaving school in 1951 was at John Rabones, the large building at the bottom right of Ford St, very happy memories, thank you.

A view a long Hockley Hill towards Soho Hill? Soho Hill Chapel in the distance, front of the Grand Turk on the left in the foreground? Map from 1850, photo from green dot, pink dot is Hockley House...

0 - Hockley Hill.jpg

Back