• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley

carolina

master brummie
I am goin to put some pictures on which may have been on before, but perhaps was lost when the Forum was hacked. So apologies if you have seen them before. Carol

141 Hockley Hill

141_Hockley_Hill.jpg

Loved Nortons. I used to go every Saturday with my Nan. We would have lunch in the cafe upstairs before looking around. I remember the wonderful mashed potatoes and lovely toast with lots of butter....My Nan bought clothes for my sister and I from Nortons, usually matching. Loved the toy dept. Precious days............thanks for the pic...

So sad that the old buildings have been demolished. I expect they were removed for road widening etc., but it is good to look at the old photos so that we can see the streets where our grandparents and gt grandparents lived. My grandfather was born in Aston Manor, lived in Defford Road Aston when he married my grandmother and worked as a silversmith in the Jewellery Quarter. They later moved to Willes Road, Winson Green where my Dad was born in 1910.

Ford Street 1950. There was always a lamp post when I was there in the late 40s/50s just to the left handside of the picture where we lived and used to swing on, its almost opposite the lamp post on the right side. So I dont know why its not on this picture.

Ford_Street_1950.jpg

hi carol
yes i do beleive you are correct if my memory serves correct just before the factory there was a doble knack entry
and my aunty winnie and uncle harry phelps lived with my two cousins barry and bryan phelps whom always played foot ball with the gang and the ones whom swang on that lamp post i always remember if the two lads ; my cousins was there playing i always looked across to the kids to see if they was out playing before going up the entry to knock the door we all went to ickneild st school barry and bryan was in the year above me i was in a class with the teacher called fortune [ mr ] and the head teacher was kitchener and mr urch deputy head astonian

co op hockley hill

(Replacement)

Attachments

• coop hockley hill 1961.jpg
    coop hockley hill 1961.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like a saturday afternoon matinee at 'the flicks' for us kids. Especially if you could get some mis-shapen cakes from Hunts on The Flat.

carolina i have always like that pic of the kids playing....from memory i think they were playing in hockley brook in 1897

thanks for posting it again...

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the pics carolina, very interesting, my girlfriend and wife now of 43 years lived in a back to back in Park road, with the entry in Whitmore street, would you have a picture of the top right of Whitmore street by any chance, thanks john

John,are these any good to you. 2 of Whitmore St and 2 of corner of Park rd /Whitmore St.

Terry

Attachments

• park rd (Medium).jpeg
    park rd (Medium).jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 74
  • ParkRoad-WhitmoreStreetHockley-5-8-1968 (Medium).jpg
    ParkRoad-WhitmoreStreetHockley-5-8-1968 (Medium).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 80
  • whitmore_street_laundry (Medium).jpg
    whitmore_street_laundry (Medium).jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 78
  • whitmore_street_lots_of_terraces (Medium).jpg
    whitmore_street_lots_of_terraces (Medium).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 68
Carolina - I went to school in Handsworth with a girl called Pat Timmins. Any relation to you?

GazSutton - Cheneys wasn't far from where I lived in Handsworth. A boyfriend's mother worked there I believe - the family name was Robins.

Judy

Jayell, there is I am sure a Patricia Timmins but I am not sure who her parents were , I will have to check . Carol

just looked at this thread how it brought back memories my husband asked me to marry him outside the paladum picture house 1963
i brought my engagment ring from the pawnshop on the flat and a lovely blue dress from glarrys dress shop and a pair of white shoes to match from fhw shoeshop i was 16years old hubby was 18years.
i lived in bridge street west and my husband family lived in wellesly street

Back