• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley Station 1854 to 1972, any pics or info on the station and the grade II listed cast iron urinal?

Kat7272

master brummie
My family lived in Hockley and I am trying to find out about the railway station. From what I can gather the Hockley railway station was opened in 1854 and closed in 1972. The railway station was re-opened (not at the identical original location) in 1997 on Vyse St and re-named the Jewellery Quarter station.

When was the cast iron urinal erected? And are there any pics of the original Hockley railway station please. I have done a search but I cannot see anything, but then I do get a bit excited and cannot resist asking the forum!

I looked down Vyse St quickly in passing not too long ago and I could see the old urinal, so I thought the station was original, unfortunately I now know it is new-ish.

Great info on the iron urinal and the disused stations link. Thank you, just what I wanted to know. Even the date they were built and manufacturer on the plaque.:):)

Thanks mikejee, I did search but I didn't put the GWR in, but then I probably would have come across your post if I had looked through the 10 pages the search threw up!

Hockley station was not just railway orientated. There was, and is (Hockley Port) the canal basin that was the interchange between the Birmingham Canal Navigation and the GWR.

Hockley was built as part of the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Dudley Railway, which became part of the GWR as the line was built. Apart from the station (whose original booking office was replaced by the GWR) there were extensive goods sheds. These were modernised and rebuilt in the 1940's.

500458.jpg

Back