• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley Pubs

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
I used to live in villa street hockley at number 118 from 1958 to 1971. I am researching my childhood and where i grew up and am looking for any photos of the vine public house in villa street or any other photos of villa street perticually the houses. many thanks to anyone who can help.

Lord Byron, Newhall Street

Does anyone know anything about the Lord Byron in Newhall Street please?

My ancestors (the Poole family) used to run this place but its now demolished

lord byron

Hi brenda. are you sure it was in newhall st. ive just looked in my 1956 kellys directory for you and newhall st is in the city centre. the only lord byron was at number 124 farm street hockley and was run in 1956 by a stanley woolley. it was just by lucas's and ive been in it a few times until it was demolished. wales.

Lord Byron

Hi Wales,
Thanks you for your reply. I was told that it was in Newhall Street but maybe it wasn't. The Pooles were found on census for Newhall Street though ( maybe they just lived there) but that is fascinating that you found that a Stan Woolley ran the Lord Byron in later years as the Woolley's do connect with the Pooles.

hockley pubs.

hi brenda wales here. cant work it out as newhall st is not known as being residential. its mostly solicitors accountants etc. but as there is a connection between the pooles and woolleys i would say its most likely the pub in farm st which was still there in 1971. to solve this problem i suggest that if you have time go to the 6th floor of the central library in town. they have all the kellys directories going back to the earyl 18 hundreds. when you have located the year you are looking for go to the trades section of the book and go to P for pubs where all the pubs are listed and the names of the liciensees of that time. alternatively i am going there next week. im always there. if you would like to give me the exact name and year or nearest if you have it i will look it up for you and send you my findings. all the best wales

wales:please read

Hi Wales
Thank you very much for your reply,I have just sent you a pm with further details etc.

Brenda,

The 1863 Slaters Directory lists Poole and Palmer as Beer Retailers at 34 Newhall St. I don't know if that helps or makes it worse, but for good measure here is a photo of the Lord Byron in Farm St.

Phil

NewtownFarmStLordByron.jpg

Lord Byron pub

Thank you very much pmc1947 for the information and the wonderful photograph which I have just printed.

i suggest that if you have time go to the 6th floor of the central library in town. they have all the kellys directories going back to the earyl 18 hundreds. when you have located the year you are looking for go to the trades section of the book and go to P for pubs where all the pubs are listed and the names of the liciensees of that time.

Wales, a good idea if you're visiting the library, but it has been mentioned many times on the forum that quite a few members have access to Kelly's directories. John has copies covering most years.Anyone requiring a look up in Kelly's should post a request in the Birmingham Trade Directories section first, saves the bus fare as John says.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Colin

Last edited:
lord byron

nice pic of the bryon pmc1947. i hadnt got that one. im still forever searching for a pic of the vine pub villa street. its like it never existed. but im not giving up. there was another pub a bit further up from the vine called the villa tavern. cant find photo of that either.

Hi Wales,
Thanks you for your reply. I was told that it was in Newhall Street but maybe it wasn't. The Pooles were found on census for Newhall Street though ( maybe they just lived there) but that is fascinating that you found that a Stan Woolley ran the Lord Byron in later years as the Woolley's do connect with the Pooles.

Hello Brenda my name is derek Woolley I lived at the Lord Byron as a child it was run by my farther Stanley Woolley of Acocks Green. as far as I am aware we have no connection with the Pools.
We lived there for 5 years, I remember going to many Lucas Christmas partys and attending Farm street school as a 5 year old, in the picture of the lord byron on the left hand side is a door,this was the door to our living room that opens onto the street ,as a child I shot a policeman with my new pea shooter as he walked passed ang got into very serious trouble about it

Wales I will have a look through my books The other pub is The Rose Villa Tavern I went in there last year. There are some wonderful original tiles on the walls.

hockley pubs.

thanks moma. the vine in villa street came down in 1978. and the villa tavern in the same street was pulled down in the 60s. mom and dad said they were the last customers to get served there. the rose villa tavern in the jewellery quarter is indeed a fine pub. i popped in the yesterday after me and my brother finished taken a few photos of the area. hope you can come come accross any pic of the pubs as i have so far tried everything. they are very hard to get hold of. thanks again. wales.

Derek Woolley

Thank you for your posting about you living at the Lord Byron.

I am the great, great grandaughter of Richard and Jane Poole who lived in Newhall Street and Richard was an ironfounder at one time and was also said to have been a brewer at the Lord Byron. They had a big family and my great grandmother Charlotte Annie Edith Poole was born at the pub 5 Sept 1852.
She married a Joseph Talbot at St.Paul's in Hockley.

It was on a census that Richard & Jane had a stepson Edward Woolley (a goldsmith) and a stepdaughter Sophia, both born in B'ham.

That is all I know about the Woolleys except that Sophia did an embroidery which got passed down to a Talbot, they had it in the 1980's but Fred and his wife have now died.I expect that their son now it in St Albans.

As we both have something to do with the Lord Byron then think that its possible that you probably have some connection with those two Woolleys who were at the pub long ago.

Sorry, I forgot to ask: is the Lord Byron still standing? If so then I must go to see it but expect that is has now been demolished.

Garbet Family

Hello Brenda:) are you one of the Poole family that are related to the Garbets.....................Cat

Catkin: I am sorry that I have no idea whatsoever.

Wales: I thought it may have gone by now, thanks for letting me know. I hope you have received the photos that I sent you by email of the Fire Station in Albion St and another view of the street, both taken 1985.

Hi brenda. loveley photos you sent me. thank you. we were in the jewellery quarter on thursday. thats where albion st is and we took a photo of that very same fire station. would you beleive they have turned it into a childrens nursery. bet the kids love it. would you like me to send you a few photos via email. wales.

Does anyone know if the Railway Inn, Hockley, still exists? :dft005: It was situated on the corner of Park Road and Norton Street. I lived in Wharf Street until 1964.. and it was my mum and dad's local.

I've looked on Google Maps... and there is a building on that spot, which looks like it could be a pub.... and, unusually, it appears to have an area at the back, which is very similar to the old back yard that the pub used to have.

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me if it's still there.. and if so, is it still the Railway, or has the name changed?

Many thanks. BB

I worked at Samuel Groves in Norton Street leaving in 1986, the pub was still there at that time, sorry although I passed it every day for years, can't remember the name, but it was probably the Railway as there were rail lines at the side of the factory (in a cutting).

Hello & Welcome 1st post by Beaglehole :)

Mmh, a Brummie too,, no need snuckin in aarh kid,,,
c,mon in the natives are friendly,, well the blokes are anyway ;)
Cheers JohnY:cool:

BrummieB, The Railway is here

Thanks a million Beaglehole. ;)

Apart from the lick of paint it's had.... it looks pretty much how I remember it when I left the area in 1964. :)

I have a few memories of in and around the pub. I remember one Bonfire Night, when our Dad had made us a cracking guy. My little brother and I set up shop right outside The Railway. We did pretty well that night.... especially out of my sister's boyfriend, who each time he came out to visit the loo, gave us ten bob note.... which increased to a quid each time as he slowly became the worse for wear. :D

Another, was of a friend of mine around the corner in Park Road (can't recall her name now... but I think she was the youngest of the Farragher (sp?) family). We used to sneak around the back yard of the pub... and open the back door. We'd sit ourselves on the inside doorstep, and listen to the singing, accompanied by the old joanna. We'd sing along and sway back and forth to the music. :cool:

I have one other vivid memory.... but it's not a nice one... so I'll spare the ladies that one. :shocked:

Hello & Welcome 1st post by Beaglehole :)

Mmh, a Brummie too,, no need snuckin in aarh kid,,,
c,mon in the natives are friendly,, well the blokes are anyway ;)
Cheers JohnY:cool:

Thanks for the welcome John. :)

A mate of mine ran The Railway a couple of years ago, packed it in after an armed robbery.

Hi again Beagle :)

a mate of mine done an armed robbery at The Railway Pub a few years ago :rolleyes:
but he got packed off to the Nick :( small World ain,t it,, JohnY :cool:

Thank you very much for this photo of the Lord Byron. Someone put it on here sometime ago after I made some enquiries as I had been led to believe until then that it was in Newhall Street. My Great Grandmother, Charlotte Annie Edith Talbot (nee Poole) was born here. Her parents were Richard Poole and Jane.

Back