• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Port

lYN
I think I have 7 of the photos you put on, but am not sure what the playground looked like. If you can't find them I can post any that might be useful. Doesn't look like my idea of a playground though

oh thanks mike i think i only posted 11 so if i cant locate them i will let you know tomorrow

cheers

mike unfortunately i have not kept the photos of hockley port that i posted...would be grateful when time permits if you could repost the 7 that you saved...

cheers mike

lyn

As I say, i don't think they are of the playground, but here they are

hockley_port_2009.jpg

hockley_port_2009_7.jpg

hockley_port_2009_6.jpg

hockley_port_2009_5.jpg

hockley_port_2009_4.jpg

hockley_port_2009_3.jpg

hockley_port_2009_2.jpg

osin
It was for al the kids of the area not just what you said i recal the old shebang of the place from all the strets around the area ;
which i knew very well long before any activivtity was comenced the older ones got to get on the cannoes in later years
they tried loads of things for the kids around there especialy clissold street and abbey street in fact there was alot of board frustrated kids
with nothink to do all they done was hang around and cause mischiff ; they used to hasve these litle clubs for the under 15 years old around the area in
different school building it was great in the summer months because the volenteers used to get foot ball for lads in the play ground
and basket ball in for the girls and none active kids had the inside to make models or play with board games but sadly as time moved on the council cut back and stopped it there was one at brookfield school and steward st school; but years larter they decided to do some think about the hocklkley port
they done the old sheds up and start a little youth centre but never really took off they done animal farm at one point never really took off then they done the cannoeing course ,s many years before the sixtys they was little work shop for the cannals and a couple of stables before they moved further into the
the smethwick end where they had a big yard just up passed the grand union feeder where the cannals come together there was an old fellow by the name of ralph whom manned the lock keepers house and done the locks for the boat men ; as the cannals started used the horses and they got exstint ;
the routine job became lessintrested to ralpth and he got a job at the old smith arms just along from the cannal next to winson green nick
and the bottom of peel street and winson green rd ; for years until the place had gone down after the couple whom ran it moved to another pub in king edwards rd ladywood hence the pub ran down hill old tomey iomie would still come in thou for his pint before he shot off for a gig ; as like me he knew every body and every body knew tommy and its nice to see him today still wearing his orinional cross around his neck the big large one you see him with it on
and i was sad to hear of his illness through the forum al those years back now ;but geting back to the port the place was for all kids ven thenaughty boys of probation ; they was useing seperate from the norm kids i think it lasted for about 18 months for probation lads
best wishes to you and all members of the forum;; Astonian;;;;

Hi.
These pictures are of the way the place looks now. Do you have any older pictures.??
Type in "Port86" (one word) on YouTube and there is a short video of the way things were.
Thanks.

This is a really old thread but ... I was given these films of the boat rally and events in 1980 and 1981. Have put them on Youtube. I've lived on the boats there only since 2002 but some people on the site still remember the days of the community centre and playground.
(just the intro)

A few press cuttings which tells us a little about the Centre’s activities. Viv.

DA1A17D7-174E-4D10-8A25-A9C550E2945B.jpeg

Attachments

• 5E697BC6-59E1-4A4D-AFA8-FB6033A2EFFE.jpeg
    5E697BC6-59E1-4A4D-AFA8-FB6033A2EFFE.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 7
  • E7A99F01-5828-4E8E-81CA-537D0BA267F7.jpeg
    E7A99F01-5828-4E8E-81CA-537D0BA267F7.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 5
  • 369D9024-F7C2-4ACD-882E-06E2BA239836.jpeg
    369D9024-F7C2-4ACD-882E-06E2BA239836.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 6
Hockley Port was a Great Western Railway Interchange Basin where goods were exchanged between railway wagons and narrow boats on the BCN (Birmingham Heath Branch). Traffic included the produce of the nearby GKN.

It is now a place for residential moorings and includes the remaining part of the Birmingham Heath branch. The branch used to extend beyond the bridge and served a coal and timber yard. It used to continue on to Soho, but when the GWR was widened between Hockley and Handsworth the tunnel was removed and the canal branch was cut back,

Back