• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Hill

Lyn
The 1892 Kellys, which would refer to 1891 gives 50 Hockley hill as Thomas L. Mott, wholesale jeweller. Position is as shown on map

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing Hockley hill.jpg
    map c 1950 showing Hockley hill.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 28
not to miss a chance:D work is going on at the min to rebuild crumbling wall on the right hand side of the brook at the villa st section..next to the fence is the maisonette where our dad lived ...red fire door open which is something i have never seen before...hard to believe that as a youngster ive looked through the gap in the red doors and after heavy rain the water level came at least three quarters of the way up the wall...my brother once climbed down the ladders to the bottom and walked along as far as he could go..i asked him why i was not invited along because i most certainly would have done it but he reckons by this time i had left the "gang" and was more interested in going roller skating...good job our mom knew nothing about this:eek:

hockley brook 5.jpg hockley brook 6.jpg hockley brook 8.jpg

Last edited:
not to miss a chance:D work is going on at the min to rebuild crumbling wall on the right hand side of the brook at the villa st section..next to the fence is the maisonette where our dad lived ...red fire door open which is something i have never seen before...hard to believe that as a youngster ive looked through the gap in the red doors and after heavy rain the water level came at least three quarters of the way up the wall...my brother once climbed down the ladders to the bottom and walked along as far as he could go..i asked him why i was not invited along because i most certainly would have done it but he reckons by this time i had left the "gang" and was more interested in going roller skating...good job our mom knew nothing about this:eek:

View attachment 110383 View attachment 110384 View attachment 110385
Great shot - mus
t be 51 years since I looked at that view!

thanks bri..i am down the old end a lot but thats the first time i have been able to get a full on shot of that section of the brook with no restriction...:) in the past all i could do was point me camera through the gap in the red door..

Hui Lyn

used to have a school friend who lived on the right just beyond the brook in a front house - Martin Inshaw - only child who's parents both worked - he had more toys and corgi cars than my entire family!
Sadly they moved about 1964-5 during the holidays and never left a forwarding address.
Often tried to climb up the wall and lookover the brook as we passed to/from his house - at 7 it was extremely deep, but very shallow water wise!

thanks mike i was chuffed to get such a good view...may go back down in a couple of days to see how they are getting on with the work..

yes bri water is shallow these days and so clear but like i said earlier i have seen the water rise right up during the 60s..i guess since then they have got on top of keeping the flow going during heavy rain falls..

Would anyone know what the buildings were in between Palladium and Withers in Lynns picture reply of No 33 please?

looking up hunters road...just above the top of the clock bridge you can see the tip of st marys convent....dated 1964

first on the right would be farm st with the benyon arms pub on the corner

2nd on the right after the clock bridge is nursery road

turn the corner from the good cheers cellars and you are in new john street west

I have been looking for this picture for 55 years! - I was born 28th Feb 1964 in the flat above the 'Good Cheer Cellars' - My parents ran the Off License - My 5 year old brother would sneak down in the night and help himself to the sweets. Thank you for posting this. xx

hi david i see you have been a member for 4 years and i posted that photo of the brook cafe 3 years ago so i am so pleased you have found it and it means so much to you...its a great photo and i lived just round the corner..please feel free to save it

all the best

lyn

Lynn I hear congestion charges apply to businesses on Hockley Hill since September last year £10.00 a day
I think you will find that there are NO congestion charges anywhere in Birmingham at the present time !! it has been proposed that they be bought in, but that will not happen until 2020 .

I think you will find that there are NO congestion charges anywhere in Birmingham at the present time !! it has been proposed that they be bought in, but that will not happen until 2020 .

Well Bill I can only quote what I was told by a former customer that I spoke to last September 2018 , said the following week the lady and her brother would be subject to £10.00 per day just to get to their place of work premises being on Hockley Hill

Well Bill I can only quote what I was told by a former customer that I spoke to last September 2018 , said the following week the lady and her brother would be subject to £10.00 per day just to get to their place of work premises being on Hockley Hill
Well Williamstreeter, it seems your former customer dont know what they are talking about, a little bit of investigation revealed the following info from The Birmingham Live site www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-city-centre-congestion-charge-14785035

the brook cafe..69/71 hockley hill dated 1954

mike could i have a map please showing where 69/71 was please..thank you mike..

146_brook_cafe.jpg

hi kenneth we lost the photos on this thread due to photobucket taking them down but if you click on the below link it will take you to a much longer thread about hockley hill with loads of photos on it...if you are searching for other areas please use the search box top right of the main page...hope this helps

lyn

Back