• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Hill

Is that any relation of Arthur Price of cutlery fame? I've had some Arthur Price cutlery for donkey's years and it's still going strong. Viv..

Re: hockley hil Hi . thanks so much for the pics of . do you have a pic of the

Sorry Viv - I woudn't know!

Hi Thank you so much for showing me on your map the building for Charles Sanders. it must have been demolished before 1963 as my parents had moved so I didn't pass it. I remember seeing that it had gone abt the last time I went to Handsworth. I hope someone will have a photo of that part of the Hill. Valerieexbrummie

Hi Just found the picture above, My grandfathers place must have ben the next one, I have downloaded this one thank you so much, maybe someone somewhere will have a picture further down. valerieexbrummie. I am still learning to find my way around the forum

yes val as is often the case the buildings we are looking for are just out of shot but as i always say they are out there somewhere so dont give up...i shall keep my eyes open for you

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Mike
on the right of hockley hill on the map is shown metal works gas fittings would you know if this was Howlets factory, as my grandfather worked there till he retired I remember going on fishing trips with him from there by coach, but cannot remember whereabouts the building was, if anyone has a photo it would be much appreciated. edd

hi edd well remembered.... just checked the 1949 kellys and it was m howlett ltd gas fitting makers at no 140 hockley hill...i am always on the hunt for new hockley hill photos so fingers crossed..actually edd post 13 photo 2 may just show it in the distance.... the photo shows guest st on the left and howlets was just up from there...mike maybe able to be more exact...

lyn

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like all that complex including the one marked "gas fittings" and the buildings to the north and across the yard to the south were all Howlett' s. Have separated it and tried to sharpen it a bit.

howletts_factory_140_hockley_hill_1954__enl_.jpg

mike so do you think the large building you enlarged is howlets...i thought it was a tad further up....what number was blooms shop mike....

In 1950 Blooms was 125,126 & 127, which must be the first building going away from Guest St. On the map 127 is marked furniture factory, and it looks as if the part of the site right next to Guest St had been demolished. Then there is a big building(s) marked 131-135, which must be the darker building, then a wall, which I take to be where there are assorted buildings set back from the road, and then the multi coloured block (Howlett's) , which I take to be the block marked "Metal works" with a gate (which is outlined in white in the photo) in the middle corresponding to the crossed gateway on the map, followed by the block marked 140 on the map. I may be wrong, but that seems to me to be the most likely.

Hockley_Hill_-_Guest_Street_30-7-1954_numbered.jpg

Re Norman's Cycles. Didn't know bikes were re-enamelled (or even enamelled in the first place). The shop seems to have suffered bomb damage and subsequently repaired. So the empty site opposite was probably demolished due to war damage. Viv.

excellent mike thanks very much....so there we are edd...you do have a photo of howlets

all the best

lyn

As ever Mike and Lyn you have solved another little puzzle for which I am grateful. it was one of those places I can remember from childhood but forgot what the building looked like and whereabouts it was situated, but the main thing I have is the great memories of getting up very early on a sunday morning and being shushed as we got ready so as not to wake the others out into the quiet streets and help carry the tackle down to the bus to Howlets then the coach ride to the venue .Its amazing how one persons query brings back a flood of memories ,so thanks both and have a great Christmas edd

thanks edd you have a good one as well....so pleased we helped you..this is what this forum does best...one photo or one query can bring our memories flooding back...

all the best and keep the memories coming..

lyn

nice one here of workshops at no 45 hockley hill.. the map on post 33 is showing the workshops at no 45

lyn

Attachments

• Workshop 1967 45 hockley hill.jpg
    Workshop 1967 45 hockley hill.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
mike when time permits could i have a map please showing where no 50 hockley hill was in 1891 and what type of business it may have been..i think the numbers went up in ones...

many thanks mike

lyn

Last edited:
Great photo Lyn. Looks like the workshop was purpose-built with those large windows and beamed ceiling.

The man on the right was probably in the army WW2 (I think he's wearing his army WW2 beret). If so its good he came back from the war being able to continue in skilled work.

And what a sensible solution to altering workbench heights - piled wooden pallets. Wouldn't pass H&S standards today.

There were probably women working in this workshop too ie a couple of comfier chairs with cushions on the right.

Those industrial light fittings sell well today. They're sought after by modern restaurants to give that industrial loft - type look.

Can anyone identify the work they're doing? Nice interesting photo. Viv.

yes viv its a cracking photo...re the wooden pallets...they certainly knew how to make do and mend in those days..

lyn

Might well be a lathe that the gentleman on the right of the pic is using. The wooden 'pallets' that are on the floor are actually known as duckboards. Their principal use was on muddy or uneven floors and also had the advantage of allowing small items to usually fall through - or be kicked - through the slats as a safety precaution. They were sometimes used to increase a short persons height when working at a bench whilst standing. :D

Back