• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley Brook floods

Hockley Brook - no date given with this one. Viv.

View attachment 129718
Maybe some of the photo wizards here could put a little definition to the photo. It might, then, be possible to get an approximate date from the corner shops. One thing is certain as it is pre 1939 - trams are running. However, it seems much older than that, possibly around the end of WW1 - give or take a couple of years.

This photo also appears on the Cable Tram thread.
The cable channels are still visible as the cable trams still ran until 1911 and were replaced by the corporations own electric trams. However they terminated a little way past the approaching tram. Maybe the cable conduit was not removed until after WW1?

yes ive seen it before alan...think that is the ickneild st turning on the left

lyn

I have a couple of write ups on the floods, the first one definitely related to PC Bell but the other one is saying July. So presume there was more than one flood?

Attachments

• Hockley flood disaster.JPG
    Hockley flood disaster.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Hockley flood.JPG
    Hockley flood.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 5
Another in 1925 too. It had been a problem for a very long time. Efforts to solve the problem seem to have been long and drawn out; in 1905 there was a public enquiry involving Smethwick Council to contribute to the work, The work obviously failed as shown by the later collapse of the surrounding structures. Below are some clippings from the British Newspaper Archives - sorry, images not too good. Viv.

E90A1AEF-DBF8-41CA-AE34-C69C717CE23B.jpegBC49BF96-E907-47CD-AE73-B673B8B5F35F.jpeg

Attachments

• F024E6EC-A6B9-474C-979B-C55AEEE83285.jpeg
    F024E6EC-A6B9-474C-979B-C55AEEE83285.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2207E281-ED16-495E-85CE-A06C4B15C5FD.jpeg
    2207E281-ED16-495E-85CE-A06C4B15C5FD.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 83F74667-3184-4AF6-BB39-12EC3B833C8C.jpeg
    83F74667-3184-4AF6-BB39-12EC3B833C8C.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 10
and this dated 1866 the stagnant brook (not to be confused with hockley brook further down) referred to that was at the back of hockley brewery nursery road was the mill race which fed the nearby aston furnance...

hockley brook 13.8.1866.jpg

yes lyn it did pong at times. people empty'd the rubbish over the wall into the brook. The man who lived next door to us told us about a man coming down the brook in a flood holding onto a car wheel. shouting.

My memory of the Brook was climbing in to get our ball back when we used to play football in Newton Place by the old bottle exchange, which I'm sure I've seen mentioned on here too!

Another in 1925 too. It had been a problem for a very long time. Efforts to solve the problem seem to have been long and drawn out; in 1905 there was a public enquiry involving Smethwick Council to contribute to the work, The work obviously failed as shown by the later collapse of the surrounding structures. Below are some clippings from the British Newspaper Archives - sorry, images not too good. Viv.

View attachment 149196View attachment 149197
Thank you for sharing the 1925 flood. My great great grandfather was awarded certificate etc from the Royal Humane society for his actions during that particular flood seems he saved 29 people that day.

A brave man. The conditions would have been terrible and very risky. Was he in the Fire Brigade ? Viv.

Hockley Brook or Hockley Sewer ?

Post 17 by Radiorails…

“An act of 1861 authorised the improvement of Hockley/aston Brook: it had long been a dump for refuse and a drain for the untreated sewage of Smethwick and Handsworth as well as of Aston. Millworks and heedless building prevented free flow, and floods spread pestilence in a wide swathe along the banks.”

Rivers Trust sewage discharge figures for 2021 showing at least the readings below of discharge into Hockley Brook. Number of discharges/ hours of discharge.

Lionel St. 3/0
Long Acre. 6/6
Plume St. 8/1
Chester St. 2/0
Elkington St 6/4
Milton St. 101/ 280
Smith St 9/4
Hunters Vale. 27/34
Francis Rd 3/2
All Saints Hospital 28/571
Piers Rd 12/12
Barons Rd 20/11
Perrott St 3/1
Booth St. 5/2
Cornwall St 1/1
Downing St 1/1

(FIGURES FOR WHEN MONIORING WAS WORKING)

Back