• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley 1957

hi harborne
just been reading your thread and the mention of your father being in the metal spinning game of proffession;
yes rabone s was on the corner of heaton street just across from the hockley junction as it was in those days from farm street
but way back in time there was dozens of metal spinning compapanys around the hockley area i i know there was one round the corner from rabones
on hunters rd facing H Samuels the jewlers ware housing and later became a scrapdealers yard when they finaly moved on or ceased trading
then there was bulpitts another big company for years was alway looking for spinners in a big way they was well sorted for ;
i can recall the H Samuells on hockley brook when they started to build that complex after there major fir on corporation street
facing the central fire station in the early fifties it was burt down ; my second oldest brother bill whom died last year ;when he was in his twentys
left walker and woods of lionel street as a ware house man and got the job at Sammuels newWARE HOUSES ON HUNTERS AT HOCKLEY BROOK
AND I CERTAINLY RECALL THE INCONVEINIENCE OFWHEN SAMMYS had that bridge across the rd with the clock that is there today
also my cousins and aunty and uncle winnie and harry phelps and my two cousins barry and bryan all went to ickneild street school
they lived in the next stret in ford street facing the bus garage and i can recall there bus fire parked out side the garage
there was a couple of pubs by farm stret one was the white house on the corner of farm stret and i think it may have been washington street ;
there also use to be a big pub on the hockley brook and do you recall a coper on point duty in a white coat wearing a funny badge
that hockley brook used to be terrible to get across ; when i used to go to my other aunts in theasy estates i would travel up to hockly brook
on sundays and catch the number 29 a bus to the terminus at theasey estates
i have alot of memorys of hockley any way do you recall the oldmassonettes there was only a batch of three as the number eight turned into farm st
there was a family called the pumpries ; and the deakins would that ring any bells with you or the simpkings ;
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;
Found your post by accident, you mentioned H.samuel ltd.Hunter rd. I too worked there as apprentice in 1976/77.many memories.

Welcome Dorset Brum. Thanks for posting - it's possible your message may not be seen before BHF shuts down for a little while for maintenance (see notice in blue box above). But look in again in a few days. Viv.

Back