• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hobmoor Ford

harryrages

knowlegable brummie
There are a number of pics of Hobmoor Ford and Lane but I came across this one in an old suitcase of Dad's. I haven't seen this one before and thought it might be useful to anyone interested in the area.*‚** It is a Newspaper photo - re: dots. The bridge was, I think, built in 1926 which dates the picture reasonably.
This place has a special interest for me becuae my Mother was born at Fastpits (Deakins) Farm in 1913 and even now aged 92 can still remember the blue gate.

Attachments

• Hay Mills Hobmoor Rd.jpg
    Hay Mills Hobmoor Rd.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for such a lovely picture O0 My husband David was born off the Hob Moor Road so it is of great interest to us both. My Grandmother used to tell me about the Road around about that time. She came from Small Heath, and said they used to walk miles down that lane as it was then to the Ring O Bells pub and Yardley Old Church. We had never seen the area as it was before so thanks again. :) ;)
Lynda

I have three books with really excellent photos of the area/Small Heath. They are all well known but for those who haven't seen them a real treasure trove.
Old SMALL HEATH - John Bick Stenlake Pub.
Images of England : Small Heath & Sparkbrook Margaret D Green Tempus Pub
Images of England : Yardley Michael Byrne Tempus Pub

Not too expensive and worth every penny.
Gerald - Argyll

Another view of the Hob moor Ford

Attachments

• Hay Mills Hob Moor Rd Ford.JPG
    Hay Mills Hob Moor Rd Ford.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 13
The early picture is from 1926, the year that the ford across the River Cole went out of use with the building of Hob Moor Road bridge. The colour photograph is the same spot seventy years later. In the background is the closed and boarded up Hob Moor Public House which was built in 1928. The grassy area is now the Heybarnes Recreation Ground. Len.

Attachments

• hobmoor rd.JPG
    hobmoor rd.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 11
Back