• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hobbies 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did use the 'Solidfy' command at some stage. I think the problem is that I started the handle 'Spin' extruding from the top to the bottom which was nearer the world centre than the top. When I cut the cup in half, the walls and base are solid ... it's just the handle which is hollow. Something for me to puzzle out sometime ... but I'm in the real world today!

I did use the 'Solidfy' command at some stage. I think the problem is that I started the handle 'Spin' extruding from the top to the bottom which was nearer the world centre than the top. When I cut the cup in half, the walls and base are solid ... it's just the handle which is hollow. Something for me to puzzle out sometime ... but I'm in the real world today!
It’s sound like you have some gaps in the mesh, the model is not manifold. You can either upload it to an online service like Trinckle or fix in in Fusion 360 or Meshmixer.

I've updated to Blender3.0 following instructions from the lady in the Youtube video below. It's 22 minutes long so need to fast forward over boring bits! She speaks very clearly.

Last edited:
It’s only like most things that are new to us. Bit like programming a cooker or video recorder.

3D printing has its own terms and a language. When I was learning about it last year, I had a model that just would not print. I found out by uploading it to an online service “it was not manifold”.

I had to ring a friend to find out what that was.

I've checked my cup model and it is 'non-manifold' but unexpectedly on the top lip circumference and when I fixed the 'non-manifold' the cup shortened by one loop. If the day continues rainy and dull I'll have a go at it ... if bright and sunny I'll go for a walk .. :)

On the subject. A little while ago (~ 3 years) we went on the factory tour at Morgan in Malvern. They proudly showed off their 3D printer they used for (at the time) producing parts for external rear view mirror housings. Apparently it was difficult to conventionally mold the shape, and play with design, and printing had opened up a new world for them. They were looking to use the tech in more places.

It is so tempting to mention inlet manifolds, but I will resist.

Andrew.

Hello folks just to say the Ledge gypsy caravan was completed about four weeks ago , I haven't painted or varnished it yet . Reason being I was hoping to stain it with the juice of a teabag , after doing a test on a couple of bits of wood , it doesn't go down to well with the pva glue . The intention is now to try and concoct as near as possible a very light mix that matches in acrylic paint . I'll load up a pic then .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back