• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hobbies 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mort, am i right in thinking these 3d printers come in bits & do you need a degree in engineering to assemble?
My resin printer came out of the box working. Just had to push a small gasket on the cover. It was dead easy to get started, the instructions were clear and easy too understand. The only job to do is level the build plate. Again, dead easy and the manufacture has a video on You Tube.

The filament printer did have some assembly which was moderately complex, but I did it in around four houses. However, I do have that type of mind, so it may not work for everyone. I do know there are a few very good work out of the box filament printers, but I was quite keen on this one. Again, levelling the build plate is a bit fiddley but doable.

Nico,

Never try to learn on a souvenir instrument - it will prove to be most frustrating (and probably made in China).

Maurice :cool:
I bought a baglama saz in Turkey from a guy who made them who walked around carrying a number of them on his shoulder. I was staying in a small hotel and had got interested in the one the barman udes to play. He persuaded the guy that I wouldn't just hang it on the wall when I got back, so negotiated a good price for me. I still play it occasionally. Worth the struggle to bring it home on the plane

My lockdown music hobby has been to sight read sheet music and play it on my keyboard. I bought a midi keyboard which plugs into my laptop and a foot switch to control turning the page. At first I tried using pdfs but experimented with PowerPoint (finally found a decent use for it). The foot switch controlls the page turning in ppt easily and I can programme the order the pages are shown to allow for repeat verses. To move my playing on (just used to vamp chords and play the melody before) I bought some interactive emedia software. My headphones mean I can practice without annoying people.

John

You are spot on there. The part can be drawn in a CAD programme like Fusion 360 to make the 3D model. The 3D model is then bought into a slicer programme, I use either CURA, LycheeSlicer or Chituboc to slice the file and prepare it for printing.

I have seen vintage car parts scanned with a 3D scanner too and the model built from the scans.

There are actually 3D metal printers too that can print parts or you can use the resin model as the pattern. Victoria Forge in Willenhall do this for their dies.
Mort & John, a couple of years ago I spent some time at Oak Ridge TN (where a lot of work was done on the atomic bomb). It was a three day program and one day was spent in their 3D lab. They were printing car part and entire 2 seater cars. The primary sponsors or funders were BMW, GM and Toyota, a couple of others that I don’t recall. It is truly any exciting technology with new resins becoming available frequently.

Mort & John, a couple of years ago I spent some time at Oak Ridge TN (where a lot of work was done on the atomic bomb). It was a three day program and one day was spent in their 3D lab. They were printing car part and entire 2 seater cars. The primary sponsors or funders were BMW, GM and Toyota, a couple of others that I don’t recall. It is truly any exciting technology with new resins becoming available frequently.
My new hobby is woodwork; what do you think?

Attachments

• Hobby.jpg
    Hobby.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 17
I agree, it is indeed exciting technology, I was watching a film of some metal 3D printing today.

My 3D printer has been running almost none stop this week. Best £200 quid I have spent for a while.

I agree, it is indeed exciting technology, I was watching a film of some metal 3D printing today.

My 3D printer has been running almost none stop this week. Best £200 quid I have spent for a while.
OK you have no doubt been waiting for some 'thicko to ask the stupid question, so wait no more here it is, obviously you don't have to load it with paper, so what is the finished object made of? How does it get in the printer and how do you get hold of it. Not in your hands, but who sells whatever it is, or is it IT magic that produces ready made origami?
Bob

OK you have no doubt been waiting for some 'thicko to ask the stupid question, so wait no more here it is, obviously you don't have to load it with paper, so what is the finished object made of? How does it get in the printer and how do you get hold of it. Not in your hands, but who sells whatever it is, or is it IT magic that produces ready made origami?
Bob
Bob, great question and Mort has the answers for you.

Bob
I am using PLA (Polylactic Acid) Filamet. It’s made from corn, so is biodegradable. You buy it in 1Kg rolls, and it’s all coiled up like string, 1.75mm diameter.

There is a stepper motor with cogs that pushes the filament into the hot extruder that has a nozzle of .4mm diameter. Effectively, it melts and is squeezed out like toothpaste.

You can either 3D model the objects if you wish to make in a programme like Auto Cad. I am using a programme called Fusion 360. Alternatively, there are now millions of 3D models that people have produced already. Just google 3D models. I quite like some of the anatomical models.

I am using PLA (Polylactic Acid) Filamet. It’s made from corn, so is biodegradable. You buy it in 1Kg rolls, and it’s all coiled up like string, 1.75mm diameter.

There is a stepper motor with cogs that pushes the filament into the hot extruder that has a nozzle of .4mm diameter. Effectively, it melts and is squeezed out like toothpaste.

You can either 3D model the objects if you wish to make in a programme like Auto Cad. I am using a programme called Fusion 360. Alternatively, there are now millions of 3D models that people have produced already. Just google 3D models. I quite like some of the anatomical models.
Thank you very much,it sounds fun,this could give me a retirement interest, I shall start to investigate it more closely, again thanks.

Bob

A few weeks back i found this rather nice Michael Kors watch. I bought a gizmo to get the back off & replaced the battery. Now i need to replace the broken strap/band but i can`t figure out how to remove it other than cut it off with a hacksaw which i`m bound to mess up. If anyone has the knowledge & can help then would be appreciated. PS, i did advertise that i found this watch but nobody claimed it.
IMG_20210601_083656501.jpg
IMG_20210601_083615023.jpg

This should tell you how to change strap etc

Thanks mate but ive seen that one & a dozen others on youtube. None of them say how to remove links without the pin hole, especially the link that joins the watch itself. The heel bar in the shopping centre wanted £24.50 just to change the battery !! I shall try pliers & if that doesn`t work then it`s try the hacksaw. Michael Kors website state £77 to change the strap.

Thanks mate but ive seen that one & a dozen others on youtube. None of them say how to remove links without the pin hole, especially the link that joins the watch itself. The heel bar in the shopping centre wanted £24.50 just to change the battery !! I shall try pliers & if that doesn`t work then it`s try the hacksaw. Michael Kors website state £77 to change the strap.
Can you show us a rear view of the watch & strap connections?
Does one of these unscrew with pliers or very small spanner and pull through?

mk5491.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back