• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hobbies 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a gimp update I tried out colour addition on a photo posted by Stevebhx. In the 1950s I bought an oil-stone from the hardware shop in the photo - used it to sharpen my ice skates. Owners of small hardware shops all seemed to be slightly grumpy - perhaps it was because they moved all that stock in and out of their shops every day.
29 and 29a buses used that stop and I travelled on those buses for school ...
View attachment 156633

Steve's pic in the thread below which also has posts showing what the shops look like now.
They are also grumpy because someone they have never seen comes in asking for one Hodgkins H74 and complains because they wont split a pack !!.

After a gimp update I tried out colour addition on a photo posted by Stevebhx. In the 1950s I bought an oil-stone from the hardware shop in the photo - used it to sharpen my ice skates. Owners of small hardware shops all seemed to be slightly grumpy - perhaps it was because they moved all that stock in and out of their shops every day.
29 and 29a buses used that stop and I travelled on those buses for school ...
View attachment 156633

Steve's pic in the thread below which also has posts showing what the shops look like now.
Great job there but can you imagine the local H&S inspector visiting there today...unsecured ladders, goods obstructing the public pavement etc....he'd have a breakdown.

I have just bought myself a 3D printer. The machine itself is interesting in that it is ‘open source’ so you can do modifications, repair, and upgrades on the machine. It’s a step back from the built-in obsolescence you get in some high-tech devices.

Bust and table 2.jpg
A couple of things I have printed so far.

I have just bought myself a 3D printer. The machine itself is interesting in that it is ‘open source’ so you can do modifications, repair, and upgrades on the machine. It’s a step back from the built-in obsolescence you get in some high-tech devices.

View attachment 156668
A couple of things I have printed so far.
Mort, what brad/model did you buy? I am thinking about buying one, still in the early stages but what you have seems quite good!

I have bought the Ender pro 3 V2 filament printer. This is a super printer that you can customise for your own needs. They are for on Amazon, but I bought mine directly form the manufacturer and got it almost £80 cheaper at £190.

The resin printer is an Elegoo Mars Pro, again a great printer that you can buy spare parts for. I broke a part last week, but Elegoo are sending me a replacement for free.

I have bought the Ender pro 3 V2 filament printer. This is a super printer that you can customise for your own needs. They are for on Amazon, but I bought mine directly form the manufacturer and got it almost £80 cheaper at £190.

The resin printer is an Elegoo Mars Pro, again a great printer that you can buy spare parts for. I broke a part last week, but Elegoo are sending me a replacement for free.
Thank you!

You're right about Chinese products; the only thing that,s come out of China and lasted for more than 12 months is Covid 19!! John.
I played the timbals tambour and tambourine and maracas at school. Some children just didn't have rythm. I can't tell you what my Nan called maracas. I shall put it on My Nan's sayings.

Your a bad man Morturn your going to cost me best part of £300!!! I've got some spare worktop space in the radio shack crying out for a 3D printer :cool: I'm a bit of a silver haired geek, love technology so I'm buying one.
Excellent, money spend on leisure or hobbies is money well spent. If your into radio or electronic things you’re going to love a 3D printer. You can make all the project boxes and enclosures. I am working on a ‘Useless Box’ at the moment.

Attachments

• Uesless-Box.jpg
    Uesless-Box.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 22
Mort,

Intriguing and had I been a few years younger I would certainly have bought one. Not that much more expensive tham my A3 printer. What is the cost of the resin please?

Maurice :cool:

Maybe in time it will reproduce lost buildings and artefacts on a large scale - and cheaply. A long way off, but this is mind boggling technology when you think about the long-term possibilities and uses. Great hobby Mort. Viv.

Mort,

Intriguing and had I been a few years younger I would certainly have bought one. Not that much more expensive tham my A3 printer. What is the cost of the resin please?

The resin costs between £25 to £40 a litre, depending on the type. You can do quite a lot of printing with the one bottle. The software will calculate the cost of the print based on how much resin it will use.

How do you go about programming a 3-D printer? What is it like for producing large thin-walled curved items? There is a very hard to find Bentley part, a cover for the lower half of the flywheel which is a simple shape like half a bucket, sliced vertically. Would this technique reproduce such a thing, even if it needed to be done on a professional machine it might be usefully cheaper than trying to make press tooling.

Maybe in time it will reproduce lost buildings and artefacts on a large scale - and cheaply. A long way off, but this is mind boggling technology when you think about the long-term possibilities and uses. Great hobby Mort. Viv.
Viv

By coincidence I have also started to do a course in 3D photography in relation to historic buildings. What I have in mice is producing 3D models of at-risk buildings or those due for demolition.

I am also looking at how we can preserved grave markers in the same way, as the detail it quite remarkable.

Have a look at this 3D walkthrough of a project I am involved with.

Wow, that’s a truly worthwhile thing to do Mort ! Adds a new dimension (sorry for pun) to historical records. I suppose provided the plans are prepared/available/catalogued before demolition any building could be 3D printed. What a great resource. Viv.

How do you go about programming a 3-D printer? What is it like for producing large thin-walled curved items? There is a very hard to find Bentley part, a cover for the lower half of the flywheel which is a simple shape like half a bucket, sliced vertically. Would this technique reproduce such a thing, even if it needed to be done on a professional machine it might be usefully cheaper than trying to make press tooling.
John

You are spot on there. The part can be drawn in a CAD programme like Fusion 360 to make the 3D model. The 3D model is then bought into a slicer programme, I use either CURA, LycheeSlicer or Chituboc to slice the file and prepare it for printing.

I have seen vintage car parts scanned with a 3D scanner too and the model built from the scans.

There are actually 3D metal printers too that can print parts or you can use the resin model as the pattern. Victoria Forge in Willenhall do this for their dies.

Wow, that’s a truly worthwhile thing to do Mort ! Adds a new dimension (sorry for pun) to historical records. I suppose provided the plans are prepared/available/catalogued before demolition any building could be 3D printed. What a great resource. Viv.
Absolutely Viv, just think about all of the wonderful graveyard monuments that have already been lost. We can now at least keep more than a paper record.

I am taking to Nottingham Trent Uni on this one.

Mort,

That's very interesting and unless you need huge rigidity, then it's obviously wise to include as much empty space as you can in order to minimise resin usage. One more question, are you using freeware or paid for software? I like the Sandhills project.

You can hollow the model then add internal support and drain holes automatically in the software.

The software has both free and paid versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back