• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hobbies 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldMohawk

master brummie
I've used my computerised paintbrush to daub colour on this April 1955 pic of the Old Square. I remember when it was like this with Corporation buses, Midland Red buses, and red telephone boxes. I never went in Kings Hall Market or danced at Mecca Dancing. The buildings opposite were demolished in 1963. Spot the policeman ... :)
OldSq1955col.jpg

The original pic
bwoldsq1955.jpg

The site demolition work
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Richard Dye

master brummie
I've used my computerised paintbrush to daub colour on this April 1955 pic of the Old Square. I remember when it was like this with Corporation buses, Midland Red buses, and red telephone boxes. I never went in Kings Hall Market or danced at Mecca Dancing. The buildings opposite were demolished in 1963. Spot the policeman ... :)
View attachment 145971

The original pic
View attachment 145972
Great work Mohawk!

Radiorails

master brummie
The colouring identifies a pantechnicon if Brewer & Turnbull, of Shirley. The distinctive vehicles were often to be seen. I believe the position taken by the constable is possibly a favourite place as it seems to give good viewing of the area.

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Phil,

I think I was only ever taken there once in my life and can't remember anything of the place, but I have several photos of my parents there before they were married. But as a project, it is a worthy one with so many photos scattered about the Forum. Hopefully when complete it will be put up as a sticky for people wanting photos of the place. Other possible subjects could be the rivers Cole, Teme and Rea, and Birmingham buses. Well done, Phil.

Maurice :cool:

oldMohawk

master brummie
:)
Phil,
I think I was only ever taken there once in my life and can't remember anything of the place, but I have several photos of my parents there before they were married. But as a project, it is a worthy one with so many photos scattered about the Forum. Hopefully when complete it will be put up as a sticky for people wanting photos of the place. Other possible subjects could be the rivers Cole, Teme and Rea, and Birmingham buses. Well done, Phil.
Hi Maurice,

Yes a family visit to the park on a Sunday was my holiday when I was young. I notice there is a newspaper report in post#1349 stating that 37,765 persons were in the park on August Bank Holiday Monday 1944. The buses and trains must have been busy.

My usual search method for forum images generally finds inserted images but does not find those which are attachments under posts.

I like pdf files they seem to work on everything ...

Phil :)

oldMohawk

master brummie
Maurice,
I use OpenOffice which is free open source.
For the Sutton photos I created a 5 column table with lots of rows.
The attached screenshot shows the general method. Openoffice is running on the right and Chrome has the forum open on the left.

1) I drag a forum image to my desktop this de-links it
2) Then drag the image from the desktop into the table
3) Highlight the image in the table and open the hyperlink box in Openoffice.
4) Get the link to the forum post and paste it in the hyperlink control and apply it.

The image in the table then becomes a clickable link to the forum post.

Using Openoffice I then export the file to a pdf at 40% quality to keep file size within forum limits.

It keeps my old brain active !

Phil
Image1.jpg

Last edited:

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Phil,

It looks as though you have got it pretty well organised. My other half presented me with piles of photographs, family papers, copies of wills and all that sort of things, and asked me to look through it and file it away somewhere. When I asked where, she said "That's your problem!" Given that almost every bit of what was spare cupboard space in this place is now stacked with parts of her collection of over 4,000 books. I was left with a problem indeed.

I found amongst this stuff loads of old papers, including my old Station Band card, which I thought I had lost, and then I spotted an ideal receptacle, an aluminium lockable box, brand new, that I had bought years ago to put photographic euqiment in. Well that wasted an hour, but I enjoyed sorting through it all. Now safely in the box, she's happy and so am I. I'll scan the band card and put it on the National Service thread later on.

oldMohawk

master brummie
Playing with the Gimp photo editor I've used the perspective tool to pull the corners of the image photographed from a book as shown in the post below to produce a flat image as shown underneath ... :)
I found this picture some time ago and then when I came to post it I couldn't find the thread. Viv pointed me in the right direction and then I lost the picture...... sign of the times maybe? However, I now have both thread and picture. This was taken from a book in Sutton Library and shows what I believe was the site of the 'original' Beggars Bush at the junction of Penns Lane and Birmingham Road. (This picture may be better on another thread, if so please feel free to move it - thanks).
index.php
wylde.jpg

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I watched an episode of 'The repair shop' last night, a lady on there was repairing a leather brief case with the same tools that my father used back in the 1940s, a wooden vice for gripping the job, held between the knees, a bradawl and two needles to do the stitching.
She was using ready made thread, dad used to make his own with very fine cotton rolled into a strong thread with beeswax.

Nico

master brummie
Hi Maurice,
I was showing someone in the family how photos can be edited. I been using the 'Screen Share' feature in Skype to show how it can be done. I gave a family member a tour through the forum's Old Streets thread the other night ... they were very impressed.
Phil ... :)
There was a group photos of us and some friends and my belly always shows up so the chap edited it.!

Arnold Mason

master brummie
I have too many hobbies

I have a 1930's Drummond lathe. I am trying to get it so that it is more convenient to use.

I have a collection of 0 gauge model steam engines - Bassett Lowke. 2 Bowman all pre-war and a Mamod ( Made in Birmingham )

I also have a 1931 Austin sixteen car. I'm not using it at present because it needs some work doing and it's now too heavy for me to work on.

For recreation I like to play tennis and bridge (not being played at present due to restrictions on using village halls )

All of this keeps me occupied for most of the week

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Richard Dye

master brummie
I have too many hobbies

I have a 1930's Drummond lathe. I am trying to get it so that it is more convenient to use.

I have a collection of 0 gauge model steam engines - Bassett Lowke. 2 Bowman all pre-war and a Mamod ( Made in Birmingham )

I also have a 1931 Austin sixteen car. I'm not using it at present because it needs some work doing and it's now too heavy for me to work on.

For recreation I like to play tennis and bridge (not being played at present due to restrictions on using village halls )

All of this keeps me occupied for most of the week

Regards from Redruth

Arnold
Arnold.............that is WONDERFUL! I envy you the steam engines!

Radiorails

master brummie
One of my interests is in my garden railway. Mostly 1:29 scale but a few 'old timers' at 1:22.5. All American products which can run on power via the rails or battery. Battery is my usual choice, it is easier. The line has been lifted in part for two weeks while a grade (slope in UK terms) was removed. This makes the track level everywhere now and allows for longer trains and less stress on the motors. Two to three inches of earth were removed principally in Wilsons Gulch and its approaches, about 30ft. It was hard going at times, the limestone boulders are heavy plus the air temperature has been high recently, as we all know.
Track has been relaid, so once Mother Nature decided to play nice soon, trains can run again.
1597999770517.png
This is a pitcure of how it was. It is deeper and green side timbers have gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.