• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hms Victory

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. went away on me hols last friday and i didnt know if i would be coming back to all my friends on this site. so glad that you are all here. anyway whilst in bognor regis we just had to go and see hms victory which is docked in portsmouth harbour. what a truely amazing ship. 4 or 5 decks of pure history and nostalgia. i would recommend it to anyone. here are 2 or 3 photos. hope you like them. wales.

these last 2 are of the only remaining original sail recovered from the victory. you should be able to see the holes in the sail made by enemy gunfire. i didnt realise until i came out of the museum that taking photos of it was not allowed so its a good job it was a quiet day. all the best wales.

Great photo's Wales. So clear when enlarged what Camera do you use?

I been to see Victory about half a dozen times over the years and the feeling I get just standing on the decks I can't really describe and the headroom on the Gun Decks is hard to believe.

I've got a couple of photo's somewhere I'll have look for them over the weekend:)

hi alf. glad you liked them. the camera is a fujifilm S570 digital with video. it was £140 from argus. my brother went a couple of years ago and he said they wernt allowed to take photos of the inside of the victory. but since then they must have relaxed the rules. ive taken loads. will put a few on tomorrow for you. wales.

I agree Wales, great to visit and you can't help letting your mind wander to think what it would have been like to serve on the ship.
Did you notice the brass plaque on the deck which said 'Nelson fell here'?
I'm not surprised I nearly tripped over it myself! (the old ones are the best!)

Bob

The very same! At least we've warned others.
There is another ship we visited nearby - Victorian. Can't remember the name though but equally interesting in its own way if without the 'romance' of the Victory.

Bob

hi bob. think its the warrior you are on about. got some pics but didnt have enough time to go round that one. wales.

A tad of information, (for the children) they have just found out that he did not die on that the particular spot, where it is stated and Hardy was not with him when he died because he had been called back up on deck, although he did say kiss me hardy and Hardy kissed him twice once on the forehead and once on his cheek, he also said I am Killed...CAT

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't spoil the legends Cat. you'll be telling us there's no Loch Ness monster next!
For anyone interested in Nelson who might be heading to Wales this summer there is an excellent museum in Monmouth full of memorabilia and personal items.

Bob

Bob he had a lot of personal items they are everwhere:D

I caught some good trout in Loch Ness thats a few more Nessy can't get:)

This is Hardy woul;d you let him kiss you

hardy.jpg

Last edited:
No he's not my type but he must have had some very good kissing qualities if it was the last thing Nelson wanted before he died!

I paid my first visit to Pembroke Dock a few months ago. It's like the land that time forgot!

Bob

Alf,
that is a good web page. :thumbsup:

in 1802 Lord Nelson sailed up the Milford Haven water way and said this would make a good shop biulding yard and dock yard and after a bit of planning Pembroke Dock was born it used to be called Paterchurch. :)

Alf,
that is a good web page. :thumbsup:

in 1802 Lord Nelson sailed up the Milford Haven water way and said this would make a good ship biulding yard and dock yard and after a bit of planning Pembroke Dock was born it used to be called Paterchurch. :)thanks for the web page.

Drifting off topic I know but Pembroke Dock fascinated me as in many ways it is like a City suburb in the 1950s with streets laid out in grids, terraced houses with pubs and shops as part of that terrace. There were signs of more modern development but I can't imagine it has changed much since its active dockyard days

Bob

Bob mint,
it is nice down here belive it or not it is busyer now tha 10 years a ago rush hour used to be about 300 cars they biult a Tesco and it is traffic all the time now thats progress for you. :cry:

Back