• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HMS Stirling Training Ship Stechford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

master brummie
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to locate the old HMS Stirling Training Ship which supposedly stood in a Flaxley or Platsley Road in Stechford, Birmingham.

The building concerned may well have been demolished some while ago, but my lack of knowledge on the Stechford area is only overshadowed by my knowledge on the history of the town!!!

Any help / recollections concerning this site would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nic, Boy are you in luck........... I have my sister staying with me at the moment, I just read your post and said to her HMS Sterling on Flaxley rd?????? She said oh my God yes,.It stood on the corner of Flaxley Rd and Church Lane now occupied by The Iron Horse Pub.
My sister said she used to go out with one of the lads from there but can't remember his name.
However it is now on the lakes at Shard End Pithall Rd and has been there for at least 35 years that I know of.
Hope this has been of some help to you :rolleyes:

My son was a cadet at HMS Stirling in Pithall Rd ,Shard End.

We have a friend who has been an officer there for 27 years.

Just spoken to my son on the telephone and he recalls hearing that it came Shard End from Stechford.

The Commander at the time my son was there was Peter Sherwin.He filled the lads with such enthuiasm.

They had a couple of teams which did a 'gun run' at local events.
This involved racing each other over obstacles whilst pulling the gun
reenacting the 'gun run' in the Royal Tattoo.

Thank you very much for such a wonderful response!!

Would anyone have any information on the building itself which housed HMS Stirling - as this is what interests me the most, to be honest?

Regards to all,

Nick

Hi Nicholas,
I just asked my sister she said b####y hell its been 60 years ago she cant rember much about it but seems to recall it was a very large house perhaps 3 stories high with lots of bay windows. She seems to think it was late 50's when it got knocked down. I know the Iron Horse was built early 60's as my hubby at the time parents lived in Manor Rd and we used to walk up to it for a drink!
Sorry I can't be of more help to you Jude x

In 1962, Sea Casdet Corps ( Stirling 39 ) was at 349 Flaxley Rd and the Iron Horse Pub was at No 355 and the Gaffer was Harry Freeth.
Hope that is some help, I'll keep digging.

There was also a petrol garage built in the late 60s just past the Iron Horse. Im sure if you contacted the Shard End branch they would give you all the info you would need.
B T W There was also a branch on Dudley Park RD Acocks Green untill the early 70s.

A satisfactory answer has been given about the original query on this thread. Following moderation, off-topic posts have been removed and the thread is now closed.

Thank you all for your contributions.

The moderation team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back