• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HMS Hood Memorial

My father served on The Hood, My sister has a photograph of it, it was when it had a prang on the prow...Cat

Thank you for the information and the photograph David. I will go and have a look.

MOTTO OF H.M.S. HOOD

The shield bears the Latin words Ventis Secundis which means on favouring winds and the bird is the Devon chuff.

Ventis Secundis was supposedly the response signal given by Admiral Hood when ordered by Lord Nelson to blockade the French fleet at the battle of Trafalgar...Cat

Great Pic's thanx for posting them Dave.
My Mom had some very close friends on HMS Hood when she went down, Mom came from a long serving Navy family.
My Gran came from Portsmouth and one of her grandfather's (My 4x G/Granddad) was keeper of the Royal barge after serving many years in the Navy before hand.
My Granddad came from Birkenhead and was an engineer first class who was serving on HMS Hampshire when they married in 1912.
However luckily when it went down in WW1 with Kitchener on board he was on shore working from HMS Victory.
One of my Mom's closest friends was a young man nick named 'Persil', we never did get to knew his real name. However Mom said he got the name because the top of his hat was always whiter that the rest and when ever asked what he used his reply was "Persil washes whiter and it shows". Mom always said no one ever did find out what he really used and they never will.

Pom/Chris :angel:

Last edited:
Back