• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hit A Brick Wall

changinman1

master brummie
Hi im researching my family tree and I cant seem to get a father or a mother for one of my gt GF,s , please if anyone can think of a way id be real grateful.
Jeremiah Field
1755–1838
BIRTH 1 JUL 1755 • St Georges Bloomsbury, London, England
DEATH ABT 1838

4th great-grandfathe

Maurice , firstly and foremost thankyou for doing this for me I really appreciate it , how did you get that ive looked for days on this one , couple more questions ,
1-what does the middle sentence say I cant understand it ?
2- Is there anywhere I can get the maiden name of Elizabeth his mother

Jeremiah son of Thomas and Elizabeth his wife was born the first of July last in Castle Street in the parish of St George’s Bloomsbury and baptised this day publickly

Changinman1,

The christening image was on Ancestry,com. So you now need a marriage for Thomas and Elizabeth and that will give her former name, though not necessarily her maiden name if Thomas was not her first husband. I'll get back to you.

Maurice :cool:

ChanginMan1,

The nearest marriage I can find is on 2nd April 1741 to Elizabeth RICHARDSON at St Giles without Cripplegate. The parish register tells us no more than that, and with roughly 14 years between the marriage and the birth of Jeremiah, I would expect to find other children from this marriage, but the search will be a bit of a painstaking process. Prior to 1754 the registers of St George Bloomsbury are not online, although it was consecrated in 1730 and the two churches are about a mile and a half apart, so this is quite feasible.

The only alternative closer to this is the marriage on 27 January 1753 of Thomas FIELD to Elizabeth VOKES in a Non-Conformist church at Wimbledon. The problem with this entry is that both had been married before and widowed and since we don't know their ages, we don't know whether Elizabeth Vokes was still of child-bearing age. Niether do we know Elizabeth's maiden name.

This is the problem before civil registration began in July 1837 - so little detail and no guarantee that they did actually get married. Anyway, here are the two entries.

Field_Richardson_2April1741_StGiles.jpg

Field_Vokes_27Jan1753_Non-Conf.jpg
27 [Jan 1753] Thomas Field of Wimbledon in Surry Widr & Husb & Eliz. Vokes -do- Widow

OMG how do you even know such facts about distance of churches etc ...amazing ....mmmm this one is so tricky isn't it ...thankyou so so much for getting me this info, its something ill have to try and pursue further

ChanginMan1,

Pre-1837, London is almost a pit of doom genealogywise. You are reliant purely on church records and sometimes the christening records don't even give the mother's name at all. Another thing to bear in mind is that a large proportion of Londoners came in from outside at some stage, generally because that was where a lot of the work was. So we don't know for certain that Thomas FIELD or Elizabeth UNKNOWN were even married in London, since marriages traditionally took place in the parish in which the bride was born and christened. The normal procedure to get around this was for the bride and groom to get a Licence to marry elsewhere.

Also I am not enirely happy about that 1741 marriage in post #6. There are no children of that marriage christened at St Giles as far as I can tell. There are three chirldren of a Thomas & Elizabeth FIELD christened at St James Westminster, but one of those children was christened in 1740 - ten months before that marriage. I've looked at the Licences for London and there is nothing there. FIELD is not a rare surname, so looking elsewhere in England might provide several or many possibles with absolutely nothing to prove which, if any, is the correct one. Was the bride Irish, for example, as there is a marriage in Dublin which would fit? We simply can't be sure and we generally have to live with that.

The original registers for these London parishes are only available to inspect at the London Metropolitan Archives at 40 Northampton Row - they have a website - but are currently closed to the public I believe because of Covid19. But before scooting off to there (when they eventually open), I would recommend that you check and double check the information that you have. If you've relied on FamilySearch, let me start by saying that it is only a guide. It certainly does not contain all of the possible records because some dioceses refused to allow the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) to photograph their records. This is particularly true of Herefordshire, Gloucestershire & Oxfordshire to name but a few.

We're always happy to discuss genealogy on this Forum and will help whenever he can. But we want to be reasonably certain that we are starting from a solid base and not going down a wrong path due to the original information being uncertain. Good luck with this and please don't take this as a knockback - I'm just trying to be helpful.

Maurice , you have been incredibly helpful in explaining how you feel about this and the challenges that I face , its not easy , maybe I need to go over the data that I have from later on and maybe work back and cover different opportunities , its certainly given me food for thought as id hate to get it wrong , not that id probably ever find out hahah . But once again thanks for the explanation and ill mull it over later when I finish work , thanks.

Can I just add a little to this? Jeremiah FIELD was actually christened in Swallow Street Scotch Church, Westminster, so your actual statement that it was at St George's Bloomsbury was incorrect. Swallow Street Church was demolished in 1915. The street originally ran from Picadilly to Oxford Street, but all but 100 or so yards of it was demolished when they built Regent Street. However, my image in post #2 was correct, but I wrongly picked up on your St Georges Bloomsbury when looking for the marriage of Thomas FIELD and Elizabeth. More on Swallow Street and the church here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallow_Street

But there are still no other marriages in the London area, so all of what I said in post #10 is correct. Hard work, ain't it? :)

Back