• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

History of vehicle registration numbers

Thanks for the tip off Eric. I will look out for an old Glasses Guide. I have had a tip off that EHA was probably issued in 1957.

Emlyn

the Lord Mayors car still carries LOM 1 showing the Birmingham "O" and his initials either side.
Two photos of the Lord Mayor's car taken in about December 1987. One photo is of the car itself and the other is with people passing by. I guess the car always keeps the LOM 1 registration but I don't know how often the actual car is changed. Dave.

img027.jpgimg028.jpg

A comprehensive guide:
https://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

Devon did not issue the letter prefixe 'A' in 1963 as it will be seen it was not compulsory until year 'C' in 1965. They did issue 'B' however.
I had a vehicle registered in Plymouth (in the WDR series) which did have the 'A' prefix. It was a pain in many ways as I had to explain to many what the 'A' meant and why it was there.

My first car was a Morris 8 series E .Reg CWD 905.Tried to get EDD1E from Worcs.But they said it would not be issued.Now I've got my own number plate GN16 BXE which stand for

Great News .in 2016 Brenda loves Eddie.:heart::heart:

A week after I bought the Morris 8 decided to take my Mom & Dad for a ride to Bromyard.After we had got passed Worcester it started to rain and rain and rain and then it poured down for ages.The car had a sunshine roof and the rain poured through it soaking my parents.Dad never went in it again ,but I took my mother to work every morning as we worked at the same place and had to be in at the same time 7-00:joy::laughing:

Can anyone tell me what year and make this motor is? My Grandfather Dad Uncle Grandmother and ME the nipper I was born in 1933 so the motor must be a 1935 or so?

Attachments

• 57561102_1779857045447657_2403571502520729600_n.jpg
    57561102_1779857045447657_2403571502520729600_n.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 25
Solihull also had it's own reg. nos. XC were the two last letters. I used to go out with a girl who had an austin mini with the reg SXC ---- C and by george she was! I also recall Jimmy Tarbuck's roller had the reg Com 1 C and he said it was a Coventry reg but must have been a Birmingham one.

have you checked the b`ham arcives. they store most docs, b`ham dont like to destroy records.

Re.History of vehicle registration numbers

Not forgetting what was probably the most common one in Brum i.e.JOJ which was seen everywhere as it was on the Corporation buses!
some one around here has a newish fiesta, joj plate

Two photos of the Lord Mayor's car taken in about December 1987. One photo is of the car itself and the other is with people passing by. I guess the car always keeps the LOM 1 registration but I don't know how often the actual car is changed. Dave.

View attachment 113522View attachment 113523
Had a lot of fun driving that when it came in for service we would put the flag on and drive it round town with one of the guys sitting in the back waving, people would wave back He He.

Can anyone tell me what year and make this motor is? My Grandfather Dad Uncle Grandmother and ME the nipper I was born in 1933 so the motor must be a 1935 or so?

It's a 1930s Morris, one of the bigger ones a 10/4 or 12/4, they looked pretty much the same but with different engines.

Thanks, Eric, didn't think is was an 8 as my mate had one and is was smaller, but I'm no vehicle expert so kept my mouth shut. :)

Maurice

I had a good friend in the seventies, she was a bit older than me. Her name was Ollie (Olive), she lived in Hall Green. She had an Austin Mini, think it was a pale yellow colour, the reg was SXC...., wonder if she is the same person as you knew, jmadone?

I had a good friend in the seventies, she was a bit older than me. Her name was Ollie (Olive), she lived in Hall Green. She had an Austin Mini, think it was a pale yellow colour, the reg was SXC...., wonder if she is the same person as you knew, jmadone?
Sadly no, I can't recall anyone by that name. It was a red car and she didn't live in Hall Green and I'm far too much of a gentleman to name her here :D :D :D

Had a lot of fun driving that when it came in for service we would put the flag on and drive it round town with one of the guys sitting in the back waving, people would wave back He He.
Thinking about this for sum reason Lord Mayors car in the 70's was a Rolls Royce ? not a DS 420 either way they would have come in to Granville St for service, so many cars over the years it hard to remember them all.

So my
Austin mini HOP Engine # BOB 1
Jensen interceptor OOG
Chevrolet Suburban COW
Ford Ranchero FOH
Its strange how I can recall my license plate numbers from 45 years ago, my first ever car I drove that was legal with ins etc was 698 GNX.

Back