• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

History of the World

carolina

master brummie
This book is by Andrew Marr its a very informative book and sometimes very hard to understand, it does take some thinking whilst reading. I was okay with countries and people I had heard about, probably through TV, films, school and general history but struggled with places like China as their named people is something you probably couldn't even pronounce, but of course we have all heard of Chairman Mao etc. I was pleased that Birmingham gets a couple of mentions. There is so much information in it, it makes we wonder how on earth someone could put it all together. With what goes on in the world today, we may have evolved in some ways, but not in other ways, as greed with certain countries is still taking place. A good read.

Hi Carolina. I think the book was released when the series was first broadcast. So I suppose reading it in conjunction with the series would have made it a bit easier going. All the same I do admire people who can pull a wealth of info together and make sense of it all, give it order, flag up global issues etc. Taking all these analyses of history into account you do wonder whether we've really learnt as much as we should from the past, particularly when it comes to the global issues. Viv.

Back