• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hirons of Aston

P

patwood

Hi does anybody know anything about the Hirons of Aston? I am trying to trace my Grandfathers family.He was called Fred. I know that he was born in Aston in 1908, and lived in Station Road. He left Aston when he was 15 years old to work on the fair that had been at Aston. His father was called George Hirons and he was married to a lady called Ellen. I belive she died about 1918.
Thanks.

I have found out more info if this rings any bells.
George and Ellen had three children Fredrick 1908, Nora 1911, and Charles 1914.
George worked as a tram fitter, and they lived in Station Road then in Witton Lane, before George went to WW1 as a farrier in the Army service corps.
Ellen died in 1918, of Flu in the epidemic.
I would love to find out more about Nora and Charles, or learn more about the area at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
This him?

Name:Frederick George Hirons
Year of Registration:1908
Quarter of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec
District:Aston County:Warwickshire

There's a garden centre in Perry Barr called Hiron's....been there quite a while I think.

Hirons

Yes that is him. I know his mother and fathers details, well where they lived but I do not know anything of the area. Do you know what station road was like? Was it the station for the tram or for the railway? I can not find any records on the census yet, so I think that they must of moved there after that! I think that he also had a sister called Nora and ? a brother called Charlie. Thanks for your help. Pat

Mrs T: I remember that garden centre called Hirons. Wasn't it on Wellington Road? As a girl in the fifties I used to walk down the path through to Wellington Road, we called it the Gilly Fields. Don't know why! I went to school with Susan Hirons.
You mean to say it's still there?

Yes, Hirons Garden Centre is still there in Wellington Road. It must be one of the oldest Garden Centres in Brum. Hirons used to have a shop on Stockland Green for many many years. On the corner of Stockland Road and Slade Road.
Carmen Hirons was the manager later on and it was a small shop that sold a lot of dog biscuits, seeds, dried beans, seed potatoes, etc. It had the most lovely aroma when you walked in. I went there with my Mother firstly when I was very small. They sold plants in the Spring and summer and often had the odd small pets such as tortoises.

Later on when I came to Canada.. Hirons at Stockland Green did all the flowers I wanted sent to people in the local area including my Mother who always loved what they did for her special occasions. Hirons made the most beautiful coffin spray for my Mother in the colours that she loved.

Hirons details

Hi Pat :) Your searches for Hirons family Aston/B,ham :)

You say you have parents names & address, could you post this
information please,,this will assist Searches 1901 census etc
There are a lot of "Hirons" on there in locality,,also Bedfordshire ;)

Do you have Frederick George Hirons birth certificate ? this gives
his mothers Maiden name makes it easier to get her marriage details,

prior Post by Mrs T gives you reference, 4th quarter 1908
(B,ham 6d page 356),, best to get that (if you haven,t already)
Then his parents Marriage cert to form base for your enquiries later.
Best regards John Y :cool:

Thanks for the update re Hirons on the Green now being a cafe. I haven't been around there for a couple of years. It seems to change all the time
doesn't it. My father used to go often to Lucas's hardware store next door to Hirons and then at the end of that block I remember Strode's Butchers Shop. A very long time ago indeed.

Back