• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hipkiss family

tommy0121

master brummie
hi all, i wonder if there is anyone out there who can help me,? here goes, hope ive got the right forum, i am trying to find the hipkiss,s, [theres a whole lot of them, my grandad,[moms side] frederick, charles hipkiss, 6 kenion terrace, kenion st, married annie louise milne, holly terrace kenion st, they had a daughter,[my mom] alma ada hipkiss, brothers frederick, david, john, albert,.

at some time, charles just dissapeared of the face of the earth, some time later annie milne died leaving my mom to take in the brothers at a early age in her marriage to my dad, [john -jack-lewin] this was a very painfull time for my mom and a hugh strain on her marriage, i believe albert died at a early age in our house in kingstanding, i saw frederick, some time in the 70s living in hawksford road erdington, i met his daughter but we lost touch.

all the hipkiss,s carried the names through, one generation to the next, charles,s father fred, lived in gooch street. all the hipkiss,s were carpenters, woodworkers, ive tried ringing a few hipkiss,s in the book, many originate from the same area, but i cant tie them up, ive spoken to three hipkiss,s who dont know each other yet all remember there parents,g/parents coming from the same area. thanks,.

6 Queen Street,Tamworth
Frederick Hipkiss age 37 b. birmingham Woodworking machinist
Fanny age 40
Charles F age 17
Albert E age 16
William age 12
Ada age 10
John James age 6
Thomas age 3
Eva age 2 months born Tamworth
all children except the baby were born birmingham

1891 they are living
8 house back of 37 Smith street,Birmingham
Frederick age 27 Wood turner.

Charles Frederick Hipkiss married Annie louisa Milne 1904.
He was registered at birth Frederick Charles but I suppose having his father Frederick it got changed around

his parents
Frederick Hipkiss married Fanny Green, june 1882, Aston

Charles Frederick Hipkiss and Annie Hipkiss 29 Cecil St St Mary's Ward
Charles Frederick & Annie Louisa Hipkiss 29 Cecil Street St Mary's Ward

Suzanne

thanks a bundle, alberta, and suzanne, how the hell do you do it,? so quick,? ive got the 1891 census for 37smith st, frederick hipkiss, married to fanny was my great grandfather, charles frederick was my grandad, married to annie louise milne, together they had my mom alma,-ADA- hipkiss, then the brothers, why did frederick move to tamworth i ask myself,? in those days,! suzanne! your charles and annie must be my grandparents, as stated charles just disapeared, leaving,-i think- annie to look after the five kids, she died early,-i think- leaving my mom to bring up the brothers in the early married years, imagine the strain,?? i would dearly love to know what happened to the kids,. again thank you both very much, tomlewin.

ps, in 1920, my mom, alma ada, would have been 14, in 1925, 19. living at 29 cecil street, yet i have my parents marriage certificate showing my mom got married in 1926 aged 20 and living at 344 summer lane, my dads address as 343,?? opposite ?.

Hipkiss Family My great granmother was a Maria Hipkiss she married a William Richards and lived in Erdington from 1898 born 1849 Bilston Staffs
My name is surname Gardiner

One of my old friends was Sid Hipkiss lived in Trittiford Road in the 1950's
was born aprox.1934.
He had a sister and brother, who I very occasionally still see.

how interesting B, re the hipkiss family, the hipkisses were a big family, i am going back to the early 1800s but the family splits a lot, could you please let me know more, early addresses etc, it is also interesting that you mention the name gardiner, my grandmother/ my dads mother was gardener, but you have a gardener on the hipkiss side?? its a bit different now but my recollections were that big families all lived around each other, if a hipkiss lived a few streets away it was odds on a relative, i also know my great grandad fred hipkiss had 5-5 kids, then remarried in 1916, and had another 4 kids, 3 of whom i understand are alive, all my moms brothers are dead. tom lewin.

My great grandmother was a Ruth Hipkiss b 1864 Cradley, my tree of Hipkiss goes back at the moment to the 1600's, and they mainly all come from Cradley/Rowley and Dudley. If you have any Hipkiss from that area there is a brilliant website called Black Country Connections, not only the Hipkiss family but many surnames associated with the Black Country :)

Last edited:
My great grandmother was a Ruth Hipkiss b 1864 Cradley, my tree of Hipkiss goes back at the moment to the 1600's, and they mainly all come from Cradley/Rowley and Dudley. If you have any Hipkiss from that area there is a brilliant website called Black Country Connections, not only the Hipkiss family but many surnames associated with the Black Country :)

Hiya Tom, if you would like to view Black Country Connections website, as loisand suggests, here's the link https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/

There was a Hipkiss family lived in Guildford Street. My mom was friendly with Mrs Hipkiss and I remember being in their house from time to time. This was in the 40s and 50s. Thier house was somwhere near 23 or 25. I can't remember anymore, I am afraid, although I can picture the house

Hi Tommy,

I have the names Fred and Ada Hipkiss in a branch of my family tree and based on the fact that you point out thet there is a lot of name repetition over the generations wondered if you might have any information that could help link the people you are refering to with the people in my tree.

In my tree Joseph Hipkiss born in Birmingham in 1805 had 2 granddaughters called Ada Hipkiss (born 1855 and 1870) and a grandson Fred Hipkiss (born 1867). Fred and the younger Ada were brother and sister. I don't know what happened to Fred Hipkiss after the 1881 Census but wonder if he could be Charles' father Fred referred to in your posting.

Regards
Bill

Hi Tommy0121,
I have found Hipkis in my family tree, a Mary Hipkis 1769 from Kings Norton, married Daniel Green 1765-1844, i understand her parents were Joseph Hipkis and Sarah (Andrews) again married in Kings Norton.

ok any names there ring any bells? hope so have lots on others, let me know

Hello

I rmember being a bridesmade at my Moms' cousins wedd, roy Hipkiss back in the lat 60s in Birmingham, my Mom was Ellen Farrell & was part of the Beebe family

regards Anne

Hi Tommy0121,
I have found Hipkis in my family tree, a Mary Hipkis 1769 from Kings Norton, married Daniel Green 1765-1844, i understand her parents were Joseph Hipkis and Sarah (Andrews) again married in Kings Norton.

ok any names there ring any bells? hope so have lots on others, let me know[/QUOTE

hi all, -again- only just got to look at this forum, owing to tiggy, i see a lot of the hipkisses seem to come from cradley heath, black country area, however, i have recently discovered my great great great grandad, on my moms side was a henry pratt, who came from derbyshire, was a known artist/painter and has paintings hanging in chatsworth house,.

he and his wife had a daughter who was a teacher, she married frederick hipkiss, moving to aston,---bit of a come down ay? they had five kids, the eldest also named frederick, my great grandad, anyone any connection to that?. tom.

Hi Tom,

See my earlier posting in this thread. I have a Fred Hipkiss born 1867 in my tree (gt. gt. gt. grandfather's nephew). His family originated in Birmingham then moved to Sheffield to follow the steel industry before finally moving back to Birmingham. I'm away from home at the moment and don't have full access to my records but I can see from my on-line records that his father Edwin Hipkiss was married in Kings Norton and I'm pretty sure that they ended up in Aston after they returned from Sheffield.

Bill

hi bill, coincidence?? my moms middle name was ada, , her brother was fred , tom.
Hi Tommy,

I have the names Fred and Ada Hipkiss in a branch of my family tree and based on the fact that you point out thet there is a lot of name repetition over the generations wondered if you might have any information that could help link the people you are refering to with the people in my tree.

In my tree Joseph Hipkiss born in Birmingham in 1805 had 2 granddaughters called Ada Hipkiss (born 1855 and 1870) and a grandson Fred Hipkiss (born 1867). Fred and the younger Ada were brother and sister. I don't know what happened to Fred Hipkiss after the 1881 Census but wonder if he could be Charles' father Fred referred to in your posting.

Regards
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Brummie.
You have listed a lot about the 'Hipkiss' family. i do have a connection, but dont have much info,

revolves around a 'Daniel Green' b.1765-1844 b. northfields, died kings norton
he married
Mary Hipkiss b.1769-1854 Kings norton

her parents;

Joseph Hipkiss b. 1743 Kings Norton
he married
Sarah Andrews.

not 100% about dates, not confirmed as yet,

do any of these mean anything to you.

Daniel Greens family (my line) married into the 'Emmes' family

but info on either line would be good

thanks

Tony Green

hi bill, did i get back to you on your fred and ada? they must be my grandparents family, my mom alma-ada- was named after your ada, let me know and i will check the census forms i have, cheers tom.

Back