• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hingeston Street

some more cracking memories from you alan...wish i had your memory...

thanks for sharing them with us and keep em coming...

lyn

My grandmother lived at 123 Hingeston Street from around about 1900 until 1915. I remember seeing the street from the bus when I went to the roller rink, but now wish I had taken the time to walk up there. Does anyone know did the stairs go from the corner of the room, ie, a spiral staircase, or was it a straight one? Not important, but I would like to know.

No 123 is shown in red on the c1903 map below and Rose & Crown in blue.

map c 1889 hingeston st no 123.jpg

Last edited:
I know all about this too Alan. At the time I lived up Carver St. My friend who now lives near me, lived in Hingeston St at the time, and when the press came to cover the murder, she had her photo taken right by the house in question, because she lived next door. I am still waiting for her to find the photo.

What number was the Rose and Crown Lyn? I would love to be able to identify No 123.

hi shortie my info says the rose and crown was at no 126....i used to go past hingeston st on the way to spring hill rollar rink and like you i wished i had known then the family connection with that street....

mike i wonder if you could double check this for me please and maybe mark the pub on that map you posted for shortie...

thank you mike...

lyn

Last edited:
wonder if anyone recognises anyone in this pic...

residents of hingeston st demand better housing condiitions...dated 2nd may 1969

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
my dear dad..taken in the back yard of the rose and crown pub..his grandparents ran the pub and dad lived here for a while....dated 1929

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mariew its the oldest one i have of either mom or dad...it looks as if dad is playing with a toy but i cant quite make it out...

lyn

We moved to 130 Hingeston Street in about 1948 and lived there untill it was pulled down in the 60s. I remember, following that awful murder in the 60s, being asked

at my place of work; "What's it like living in a grim, overcrowdwd tenement?". This was its description on the front page of the Daily Mirror in its coverage of the crime.

The description may have been deserved as far as the buildings went but it must have been hurtful to the many hard working people whe kept a clean home there.

Anyway, it seems Hingeston Street always had its share of tragedy as this cutting from 13 May 1865 shows.

Attachments

• ChildMurder_HingestonSt_13May1865.jpg
    ChildMurder_HingestonSt_13May1865.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 54
Here is the advertisement for the premises of the "Rose & Crown", 22 October 1874.

Attachments

• R&C_ForSale_22Oct1874.jpg
    R&C_ForSale_22Oct1874.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 23
Interesting snippets so sad about the child from Hingestion Street. I wonder if the case was ever solved.

But it seems the pressures of running a business could be quite wearing. 02 Aug 1883

Attachments

• Rose_&_Crown-_Assault_02Aug.jpg
    Rose_&_Crown-_Assault_02Aug.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 22
very sad story about the little baby edcartermo..thanks for posting those snipets that relate to the rose and crown..i have found them very interesting as i have a family interest in this pub...

cheers

lyn

I have also found this thread interesting, as growing up close to the bottom of Warstone Lane I often played around the Hingeston St area. How sad about the infant, who, it would seem was strangled. Like Wendy, I also wonder if the case was ever solved. It was always a run down area, as were a lot of those very old streets, but the majority of people did keep their homes clean, and they were hard working too. Overall though to me, the area was better then than it is now even though the old properties were in a bad way. Well, it was home wasn't it? Today, it just seems a ghost town.

Back